2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2023 | 07:58 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by anastasios11
mrego, where is it then sorry. The below post implies between the weather stripping and the pillar

I see it as only two choices like you noted.

1. Below the A pillar trim and above the weatherstripping
2. Below the weatherstripping itself and above the glass itself - between the weatherstripping and the glass?

your help please
Here you go. I lifted this rubber stripping and stuffed the foam inside all the way along the length of the Pilar creating a blockage to avoid the air going in. Which I suppose was the reason for the noise. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
PaulLR (04-06-2023)
Old 04-30-2024 | 11:41 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by PaulLR
The A pillars on our new 2023 Defender are still completely quiet after 1 month and 3200 miles. Guessing LR has added an additional production step to address this issue.
That’s great to hear, unfortunately my 2023.5 is also displaying the “crackling” sound from the driver’s side. I’m at a year of ownership and 13K miles … I’m having it looked at during an upcoming service appointment next week. Curious if other 2023+ owners are experiencing the crackling sound or if mine is just an outlier at this point?

Old 04-30-2024 | 03:22 PM
Overlanding

I have the same issue on my passenger side. MY24...

Old 05-01-2024 | 03:48 AM
Drifting

Sorry to learn, I’m afraid this may be a dealbreaker for me thinking about getting into a Defender again.

Old 05-01-2024 | 07:49 AM
Winching

Of all the numerous issues written about in this forum, the A-pillar is probably the smallest, most easily remedied issue. That would not be enough of a reason to be a ‘dealbreaker’ for me. Fixed under warranty, or easily fixed at home. But, to each his own.

The following 4 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
ba_ (05-01-2024), Jbiggzs (05-02-2024), NativeTexan (05-01-2024), pinion (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024 | 11:07 PM
Mudding

It isn't so small for me. Been in 5 times - and still not fixed. Very annoying - to point I am close to selling the car and getting away from LR.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hoosbest:
lrFFM (05-02-2024), YoungTurk (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024 | 04:35 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Of all the numerous issues written about in this forum, the A-pillar is probably the smallest, most easily remedied issue. That would not be enough of a reason to be a ‘dealbreaker’ for me. Fixed under warranty, or easily fixed at home. But, to each his own.
yes, so small Land Rover can't fix it after 4 model years? Right.

The following 3 users liked this post by YoungTurk:
Chief65 (05-02-2024), lrFFM (05-02-2024), merrion13 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024 | 10:23 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
yes, so small Land Rover can't fix it after 4 model years? Right.
So for those ready to throw in the towel and switch vehicles, which make/model would you go for? I mean what vehicle out there is 100%, absolutely perfect and trouble-free, with no known issues, problems, and has fulfilled every owner’s expectations? Hmmm, maybe a Cybertruck. I’ve heard they are without fault. 😂

Old 05-02-2024 | 04:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
So for those ready to throw in the towel and switch vehicles, which make/model would you go for? I mean what vehicle out there is 100%, absolutely perfect and trouble-free, with no known issues, problems, and has fulfilled every owner’s expectations? Hmmm, maybe a Cybertruck. I’ve heard they are without fault. 😂
I haven't even had so much as a loose screw in 18 months of trading my '22 Defender for a new '22 Passport Trailsport. I had the A-pillar issue with the Defender but never even had an opportunity to get it addressed, there were just so many other issues that kept popping up which needed fixing I never got around to the point where that was the only issue remaining. That issue was minor imo, I wouldn't let that issue deter me if I really wanted one. I know it says something about JLR that it's still in-play as an issue, I think that's what the poster is getting at. I mean my '22 had it, that was 2 model years in. Several things were never fixed when I traded it, A-pillar, seat tracks, intermittent low speed stalling. What was fixed under warranty was the led halo module and back lights module. Cool vehicle but I have no time for that much back and forth to a dealership. If I were retired or rich and didn't work full-time it might be different, then maybe I can use the drama. I've owned a lot of new cars since 05 and absolutely never had multiple issues like this thing had. If true offroad is a requirement then the defender is certainly on the short list. It's formidable. If I really needed offroad at this point I'd probably consider a 4 runner with the v6. I don't need offroad personally, I need something great in the winter. The only thing I miss is the air suspension tbh. As far as everything else I'm delighted with what I have. If I want offroad someday I'll buy another bike and trail ride in the woods. Consumer grade stuff off the showroom floor like defender is going to have a lot of problems if it's offroaded a lot IMO. It's built to do it once in a while. It's capable of it. That's my 2 cents.

Last edited by Chief65; 05-02-2024 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-02-2024 | 05:15 PM
Mudding

Just throwing it out there that these issues sound like a dealer problem to me. And I'll admit, the car does need tending to and my dealer so far has been amazing at getting me in and out quickly with any repairs. So if I had a lazy or unhelpful dealer, I would probably have bailed too.

My warranty is up in June. The closet LR independent shop near me is an hour away.

Quick Reply: A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed