2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self install winch and bull bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 12:32 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get a reply on the bull bar? I'm looking for the same product as well.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:41 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Bull bar is via newdefendermods, costs around $4.5k to have shipped from Australia. Not for the faint of heart.

I'm awaiting Lucky8 who claim to have one in development for release in the near to somewhat near future....they'd be smart to start circulating product development imagery, wink wink.

Old 03-20-2021, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you for the reply. We can only hope more of these become available in the US as more defenders arrive.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 2oolander
Nope - it’s an HSE P400. I liked the X but chose the HSE due to a number of reasons:

- the gloss Black cladding is nice but will scratch/pit terribly on any gravelly road surface
- wanted full leather seats vs partial cloth/leather
- easily had the hood black wrapped and added the tow hooks

Just being honest, I think it was LR gouging price with surface refinements for visual affects vs actually adding any real capabilities/value (towing, convenience pack, leather seats, etc. all stil options).

Was able to add important options like the rear diff lock, towing package, leather, 3rd row, and arrive at the cost of a base X, but with more capabilities and saved $7k over a similarly spec’d X. That’s the great thing about the new Def as you can tailor it to your desires/needs and if you can’t tell the difference, I’m glad I saved the $$.

Cheers
Brilliant explanation! You just talked some sense into me! I just cancelled my order for an X-dynamic and will re-submit an order for a base SE with all the same options. This will get me everything I need (plus I'll add the rear recovery hooks myself) plus the lighter colored silver accents and "one-tone" acorn interior, both of which I prefer anyway. The extra trim coloring details and lighted tread-plates mean nothing to me. This will save me $2500 for nearly the same vehicle.

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Eitan (05-17-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 02:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Some of these completed winch kits look fantastic. Others... less so.

I've gotta say- this winch "kit" looks less like an OEM solution and more like something the emergency engineer team for Apollo 13 came up with in about 15 minutes.

"Okay, gentleman, we have a quarter of an hour to build a working winch kit, modifying only the components in this box"...

Like I said, many of these builds look great. Personally, I wouldn't undertake the headache/gamble. Eventually, some aftermarket company will offer a reasonable kit, probably nestled in a form-fitted steel bumper platform, that will only require the removal of some front fascia and some simple bolting. Like the various aftermarket solutions that are offered for literally every other off-road vehicle on the market today, even the rare-bird modern Land Cruisers. So I'll wait for someone to build something for the D2. It's already a popular truck. It'll happen.

That and proper steel/aluminum diamond-plate cladding pieces.

Last edited by TheLittleEngineThatCould; 05-16-2021 at 02:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheLittleEngineThatCould:
Eitan (05-17-2021), GrouseK9 (06-22-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 02:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLittleEngineThatCould
Some of these completed winch kits look fantastic. Others... less so.

I've gotta say- this winch "kit" looks less like an OEM solution and more like something the emergency engineer team for Apollo 13 came up with in about 15 minutes.

"Okay, gentleman, we have a quarter of an hour to build a working winch kit, modifying only the components in this box"...

Like I said, many of these builds look great. Personally, I wouldn't undertake the headache/gamble. Eventually, some aftermarket company will offer a reasonable kit, probably nestled in a form-fitted steel bumper platform, that will only require the removal of some front fascia and some simple bolting. Like the various aftermarket solutions that are offered for literally every other off-road vehicle on the market today, even the rare-bird modern Land Cruisers. So I'll wait for someone to build something for the D2. It's already a popular truck. It'll happen.

That and proper steel/aluminum diamond-plate cladding pieces.
Lucky8 is working on a metal front bumper. I believe it will be what many are waiting for. There is a photo in the forum somewhere --- not sure which thread it is in.

The front-end bumper challenge with the New Defender is there is very little room up-front (recall the battery is under the front passenger seat), there is very little structural steel, single strength points to access (aluminum construction), and the % of frontal area taken up by cooling radiators is really quite large.

As for the job of taking apart the front end and install the winch, it is a rewarding task (if one does not make a collassal error).

Enjoy !

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-22-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 05:58 PM
1st Gear
Default 2020 Defender

Where did you purchase your bull bar? How much? I am looking for one for my "project"

Old 08-04-2021, 03:41 PM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

What does the 1.5 lift with the rods do to the ride quality? And for a dumb question, the 1.5" rods are really getting the space from the lift that the air shocks provide, right?

Old 08-05-2021, 12:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by KimChi
Where did you purchase your bull bar? How much? I am looking for one for my "project"
The bull bar (actually a roo bar) came from LR Melbourne Australia and was shipped by #newdefendermods (Ben) who arranged shipment. Not cheap but possible.

Note that the OEM winch tray for the Roo Bar version is different than the tray for the UK/US version (the one with the black plastic H in place of the roo bar). The trays are not interchangeable.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

If you check #newdefendermods website, they are sold out and taking wait list requests. I'd recommend that. If you contact LR Melbourne Australia, they will tell you that they are sold out (as are most all the Australia Dealers) and don't expect to see any for "months". I've had friends in Australia ping a variety of dealers around the (very large) country and ditto. The only other country that I know which sells the JLR bull bars is South Africa. Got contacts there too. Guess what? Yeah, sold out, backordered, and waiting for JLR to ship more. I keep thinking, where's the chips in the bull bars?? If they aren't building Defenders, why would they not supply parts that are severely backordered?? (No need to answer those - more rhetorical as I probably know the answer....)

Oh, and there's a guy who is advertising them on eBay for $7,500. But he's not responding to messages to validate them with legit pics or to meet nearby (posted as located in Chicago).

Quick Reply: Self install winch and bull bar