2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self install winch and bull bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 09:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Thanks for the good advice, @TrioLRowner .

Old 08-14-2021, 11:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1107
lol. This city dude can help my country brothers. I almost cut thru the front camera wiring harness and I did cut the parking sensor harness but the tech fixed it for free. He said there is no part number for the camera harness and would require a brand new 300 plug chassis harness. I was drilling a hole for the camera and disabled the front parking sensors. I hope these pics help.

Couple things I'd consider to help prevent wire damage would be either a Unibit or a depth set for a Dremel.

The Unibit does have a blade edge but it does not grab like a spiral drill bit. I did something similar on a live fire alarm panel where we needed a hole but couldn't move the wires behind it as it had to stay live while we worked. We used the Unibit to cut each depth step then pulled the bit out, ground that step off the Unibit with a wheel and then cut the next step. Repeat repeat. It took maybe 25 minutes and we also used a wet sponge and canned air (upside down to let the liquid out) to keep the metal extra cool while we drilled. Didn't want to burn the paint next to the hole. Unibits make very nice finished holes but the back of the hole will be sharp so you'll need a file to clean that up.

A less good option, the Dremel would be good because depth can be set to the exact thickness of the material you're cutting but it would probably need a plywood jig to get a nice round hole and it would be hotter for the paint since it is grinding vs. the cutting action of a Unibit. Would also be harder to control heat because it's covered.

*That's a drywall cutter in mine. Would need a metal cutter.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:01 PM
Pro Wrench

lol. This city dude can help my country brothers. I almost cut thru the front camera wiring harness and I did cut the parking sensor harness but the tech fixed it for free. He said there is no part number for the camera harness and would require a brand new 300 plug chassis harness. I was drilling a hole for the camera and disabled the front parking sensors. I hope these pics help.

Couple things I'd consider to help prevent wire damage would be either a Unibit or a depth set for a Dremel.

The Unibit does have a blade edge but it does not grab like a spiral drill bit. I did something similar on a live fire alarm panel where we needed a hole but couldn't move the wires behind it as it had to stay live while we worked. We used the Unibit to cut each depth step then pulled the bit out, ground that step off the Unibit with a wheel and then cut the next step. Repeat repeat. It took maybe 25 minutes and we also used a wet sponge and canned air (upside down to let the liquid out) to keep the metal extra cool while we drilled. Didn't want to burn the paint next to the hole. Unibits make very nice finished holes but the back of the hole can be sharp so you'll need a file to clean that up.

A less good option, the Dremel would be good because depth can be set to the exact thickness of the material you're cutting but it would probably need a plywood jig to get a nice round hole and it would be hotter for the paint since it is grinding vs. the cutting action of a Unibit. Would also be harder to control heat because it's covered.

*That's a drywall cutter in mine. Would need a carbide cutter.

Old 08-14-2021, 01:31 PM
Pro Wrench

PowerfulUk had a great video on the different drill bits against aluminum. That was very insightfull. I thought I'd just use a twist bit, but surprisingly the paddle bit/spade bit worked surprisingly well.

Old 08-14-2021, 04:23 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
PowerfulUk had a great video on the different drill bits against aluminum. That was very insightfull. I thought I'd just use a twist bit, but surprisingly the paddle bit/spade bit worked surprisingly well.
100 ways to cook a cat.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (08-14-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 09:54 AM
Pro Wrench

Don't expect Warn Winches any time soon. I've been trying to source a Zeon 10-S Platinum. One of my parts buddies contacted the manufacturer and it looks like they are backordered until February - March, 2022. He said that it is one of many in a VERY long list of winches that are on extended backorder. At least they are being transparent that it will be a LONG time.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

C'mon Mark, you go to all this trouble and then put that gnarly wire rope winch in there? Time for a Spydura synthetic upgrade! We could start a GoFundMe page to help out...

Old 08-16-2021, 12:18 PM
Pro Wrench

With the current supply shortage problems, I think he took the wise course: install what he had! I found out this morning that the Warn winch I was looking for is on a LONG list of others that are on National backorder. Not likely to ship until February/March 2022. I guess I'll join the line of other folks waiting for LR stuff.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Sounds like I should have pulled my Zeon 10S off my Jeep when I sold it to a friend in June and replaced with a Kwungfao Most Excellent Winching Tool 10000. I honestly don’t think he’d have known the difference.

But Mark could still have bought a hundred feet of synthetic and bagged that wire rope. I hate that stuff.

The following 4 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
GavinC (08-16-2021), GrouseK9 (08-16-2021), Mark1107 (08-16-2021), TrioLRowner (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 08:56 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Alright already. I’ve was inn in Moab 2006 I saw 2 synthetic winch cables snap! I’m sure the technology is better now. I will upgrade.

fyi, any warn winch will fit, you just literally need to shave a little bit off the sides. Don’t wait on a Zeon!

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (08-16-2021)

Quick Reply: Self install winch and bull bar