Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self install winch and bull bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 03:24 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2oolander
Thanks Pete. It’s an LR bumper from Australia, basically, a roo bar they sell in the local market I had shipped to the US from Sydney.
do you have a contact for the bar / price?

Old 08-06-2021, 06:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts
Old 08-10-2021, 07:14 AM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi:

I am impressed by the amount of work it took for you to complete this install.

One question: are some of the elements removed from the front end part of the flap system that keeps tons of water from pouring into the engine when wading?

Just curious. If you addressed this and I missed it, I apologize now.

-Michael

Old 08-10-2021, 07:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

The rubber flaps have two sections (top and bottom). They are motorized and open once engine temperature warms up. The lower section is disposed of during the winch installation.

I was wading over the weekend and I did not think to check if the flaps close at that time -- next time I will go into the water and look and see if they do.

I was finally able to confirm that my wade sensing does work, even with the Lucky8 rock sliders in place. Also, I found that 4 inches is the minimum depth necessary for wade sensing to function and 5 MPH is the maximum speed.

In practice, 5 mph is pretty slow ... I have to pay close attention to maintain momenutum and stay below 5 mph.

Enjoy !!

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (08-10-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 12:01 PM
Mudding
Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts

Lucky8 just came out with their version of a bull bar. Looks nice and will be stateside.

GrouseK9 (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 12:13 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
The rubber flaps have two sections (top and bottom). They are motorized and open once engine temperature warms up. The lower section is disposed of during the winch installation.

I was wading over the weekend and I did not think to check if the flaps close at that time -- next time I will go into the water and look and see if they do.

I was finally able to confirm that my wade sensing does work, even with the Lucky8 rock sliders in place. Also, I found that 4 inches is the minimum depth necessary for wade sensing to function and 5 MPH is the maximum speed.

In practice, 5 mph is pretty slow ... I have to pay close attention to maintain momenutum and stay below 5 mph.

Enjoy !!
I just watched Simon from powerfuluk winch install and the oem removed the air flappers? Is that true here too? BTW after weighing my options, the winch is pretty heavy?

Old 08-11-2021, 01:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The lucky8 winch tray is at the same location as the OEM tray, so would certainly have to discard the lower flaps, I suspect. The geometry of the real estate upfront is very tight.

yes, the tray and winch add enough weight to slightly change the driving characteristics of the vehicle — a bit more under steer. When the lucky8 rock sliders are added the handling improves — eliminates the nose heavy feel and gives the a more planted ride.

I recall reading that the coil suspension Defender requires stiffer front springs with the winch. The air suspension version self levels and can remain level and happy without change.

Enjoy !!

Old 08-13-2021, 05:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@Mark1107 - Rereading this thread while searching for a Warn Zeon winch before diving in. You mention almost bricking yours when you were cutting some white panel. Can you describe that more so I can start puckering up and applying my Redneck Engineering to avoiding that? Trying to figure where that is. I haven't invested in the 5 hours of PowerfulUK videos, I've only skipped around. If it's in there, just say "suck it up, watch the full video series"! Thanks.

Mark1107 (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 11:43 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

lol. This city dude can help my country brothers. I almost cut thru the front camera wiring harness and I did cut the parking sensor harness but the tech fixed it for free. He said there is no part number for the camera harness and would require a brand new 300 plug chassis harness. I was drilling a hole for the camera and disabled the front parking sensors. I hope these pics help.

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@Mark1107 - Rereading this thread while searching for a Warn Zeon winch before diving in. You mention almost bricking yours when you were cutting some white panel. Can you describe that more so I can start puckering up and applying my Redneck Engineering to avoiding that? Trying to figure where that is. I haven't invested in the 5 hours of PowerfulUK videos, I've only skipped around. If it's in there, just say "suck it up, watch the full video series"! Thanks.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

GrouseK9

I suggest you watch all five videos.

the one in which he does the factory wiring with the starter cut off is particularly intimidating. I and others on the forum went straight to the 12v posts under the hood and avoided that bit of needless luxury

also, I suggest you read my entire thread on my installation learnings as I note a few points of challenge which are not in the powerful U.K. videos.

good luck with your work. Enjoy !

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 08-14-2021 at 08:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Self install winch and bull bar