2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thumping Sound/Diff. Campaign?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 07:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 157 Posts

Last night I was going through my pictures and videos from when I visited the LR Experience Center at Solihull two years ago, and I completely forgot that I noticed a clunking sound. I asked what it was and the instructor said it was the rear diff and that it is completely normal. That car, IIRC had 15k miles, all of which were off-road at the experience center.

The following users liked this post:
Mrlandrover (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 11:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyRovers
I have this, too. I had my rear diff flushed, and my friend who did it also put in some Ford Motorcraft differential friction additive. It fixed the problem for about a month, but now I can occasionally feel/hear my rear diff clunk, but not as often as it was before the flush. I spoke with a friend of mine who has experience with tis problem, and he said that other than the clunking sound, there isn't anything to worry about, and he hasn't seen any differential failures caused by this on any D7 platform vehicle. I also spoke with another friend who is an engineer for JLR in the UK and he said not to worry about it. I'm going in to have the harness overlay for the keyless entry replaced next week, so I'll have the dealer flush the rear diff again, but after talking to several people with experience with the rear diff, I'm not that concerned about it anymore.
@CincyRovers How did you get the dealer to agree to do the overlay harness for the keyless entry?

I've taken mine in and they replaced the battery in the key, which did nothing.

Have a number of times been in the street while parallel parked trying to get in my car, when the buttons on either drivers side door don't work and cars whizzing by 2 feet away bc I can't get in-- it's a bit of a safety issue. I manage around it but...

Old 08-08-2024, 12:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
@CincyRovers How did you get the dealer to agree to do the overlay harness for the keyless entry?

I've taken mine in and they replaced the battery in the key, which did nothing.

Have a number of times been in the street while parallel parked trying to get in my car, when the buttons on either drivers side door don't work and cars whizzing by 2 feet away bc I can't get in-- it's a bit of a safety issue. I manage around it but...
I saw it on another thread on here. I don't know the TSB number, but I sent an email to the service manager at my dealer asking him about a TSB for the keyless entry harness and he knew exactly what I was talking about, and I made an appointment to have it resolved. I suggest doing the same thing. hopefully they can help you out!