2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Defender today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 03:11 AM
Winching
Received 581 Likes on 304 Posts

A perfect reply! What a beauty! Congratulations and looks well worth the wait. More pics!

matt

The following users liked this post:
Huc (09-30-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 03:23 AM
Huc
Mudding
Received 179 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Here's a link...

Originally Posted by MattF
A perfect reply! What a beauty! Congratulations and looks well worth the wait. More pics!

matt
Here's a link to my reply in the Defenders in the Wild thread

MattF (10-01-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 08:42 AM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Huc
Here's a link to my reply in the Defenders in the Wild thread
Huc, Awesome looking 110X.
It looks like you have the Style 6010 19 inch wheels? I'm getting those too, still waiting for mine to be built.
It appears you do NOT have the standard Goodyear Adventurer All Terrains, but instead the Duratracs? Did your dealer install those tires for you?
I have some time still before my build is "locked" in and been back and forth on whether I should do the wrap. What are your thoughts on the wrap?

Old 09-30-2022, 11:48 AM
Huc
Mudding
Default Wheels, Wraps and Duratracs

Originally Posted by ficklma1
Huc, Awesome looking 110X.
It looks like you have the Style 6010 19 inch wheels? I'm getting those too, still waiting for mine to be built.
It appears you do NOT have the standard Goodyear Adventurer All Terrains, but instead the Duratracs? Did your dealer install those tires for you?
I have some time still before my build is "locked" in and been back and forth on whether I should do the wrap. What are your thoughts on the wrap?
Wheels: yes on the 19" - can't say as to style # off top of my head (ages since it was spec'd at order). But those are the "factory standard" 19" black wheels that ship with the Defender X model. That should help narrow it in down in discussion w/your dealer. If it doesn't, post back and I'll see what I have for details. Essentially they took off the Adventure AT the rig shipped with and spooned on + balanced the Duratracs at time of pickup onto the wheels the rig shipped with as standard for that model spec. Hope that makes sense/helps.

Thoughts on the Wrap:We like it and believe it was worth it to just do it straight from the factory as we were gonna wrap it anyway. The material is a quality product (sorry, can't recall specifics) - lots of other treads here regarding wraps all seem to say relatively the same thing (everyone's mileage will vary). What is ODD is they did NOT wrap the BLACK painted hood. I will likely take it to my local guys who have done our other vehicles as I get a rumble in my tummy telling me that hood is gonna be a rock magnet just like my Toyota FJ!

Duratrac v. Adventure All Terrain: You are correct on the tires in both counts. Dealer purchased & installed but it was a mini pain in the ****. Upon delivery we found out the Adventure ATs shipped w/the vehicle (it was unknown by dealer at the time or order?) Dealer quoted me a price that was essentially zero credit for the Adventures. I respectfully declined and questioned their rational. The problem is/was tire dealers no longer want (can?) to give $ trade and won't drop the disposal fees for a tire swap (at least here in Denver CO). Basically I'd be trowing new rubber in the trash to get the Duratracs - that rubbed me wrong. While options exist to try and sell the rubber privately or fiddle with trade-in/drop off at places that sell lightly used tires - I had zero desire to deal with those frustrations. Been there - done that (a few times) - got the t-shirt - would rather not do it again. The dealer worked in good faith and we swapped the rubber after they gave me an +/-$800 credit as opposed to their original offer of a $150ish extra to swap the rubber at time of setup (+/- $700 net extra). As a result we each ate a little but c'est la vie. Paula and I thought it was worth the trade-off to do it right at time of pickup and call it done. The $ difference wasn't material at the overall price point of the build.

My biggest pet peeve on the tires is I FORGOT to check the pressure before I left the dealership. Why do auto & motorcycle dealers always seem to over inflate tires? There's a max psi stamped on the bloody sidewall for a reason. But I digress...

For tires - my recommendation is work with the dealer now and it should all be setup when you arrive for delivery! It beats having to sort it out after you drive it home. For wrap - we're glad we did it right from factory as it was one less headache to deal with at / after pickup. We know that painted finish is gonna get Colorado pinstripes in short order & Wraps have proven to help mitigate that.

Hope that helps and enjoy the journey that is 2023 auto purchase

Old 09-30-2022, 01:56 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Huc
Q. What did you do to your Defender today?

A1. Adjusted the front drivers seating position & related bits
A2. Accepted Delivery and Drove it home from the dealership
A3. Confirmed it fit in the garage
Yah - it's a little bit of a sarcastic comment - and not intended to hijack or detract from the thread - but I just couldn't resist after what felt like an endless wait!

Very nice! Congrates.
Sadly our order is still on the spreadsheet at this dealer!
How long was your total wait?

Old 09-30-2022, 11:12 PM
Huc
Mudding

Originally Posted by tbrown
Very nice! Congrates.
Sadly our order is still on the spreadsheet at this dealer! How long was your total wait?
Here's a time line from the order details we signed March 4th 2022 after starting the detailed shopping and purchase process in early February. It was also dumb luck when we were bumped ahead into the build queue as someone had canceled and we nabbed their slot. Otherwise who knows if/when a build slot would have opened.

Timeline: Signed the order docs March 4 2022 with these dates noted:
- Last Order Amendment Date April 20
- Build Date May 20
- ORIGINAL predicted Delivery Date: Aug 5th (need to add a few days time for dealer installed accessories, PDI, etc, before pickup)
- ACTUAL PICKUP Date: Sep 28th

With an Original Order Date of March 4th to Actual Pickup Sep 28 = 210 days by my count divided by 30 days/month avg. = 7 months from signed order to drive off lot

With an Aug 5 'predicted original pickup' and Sep 28 Actual pickup = ± 45~49 day delay (adding fluff for dealer duties noted above)

Now, presuming all interim updates by my dealer and railroad delays were true, which I believe to be the case, the delay was not on Land Rover. Apparently a railroad track issue somewhere between Slovakia and the Adriatic Sea caused the shipping delay getting vehicles to departure port.

While no doubt it was a frustration we're just glad it's here as we didn't have to wait until 2023 to take delivery

Hope that helps

Last edited by Huc; 09-30-2022 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,345 Likes on 963 Posts

I installed new boots increasing my effective sidewall height by 38%

Costco wouldn't install so I did it myself. Managed to find a local construction site to baptize them in a little dirt. Finally a tire worthy of this truck.

The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
Huc (10-10-2022), MattF (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 12:10 AM
Winching

Your truck looks great! RWLs might have been nice 😜

Old 10-01-2022, 12:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,345 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by MattF
Your truck looks great! RWLs might have been nice 😜
RWLs?

Old 10-01-2022, 12:30 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by GavinC
RWLs?
Raised White Letters !

GavinC (10-01-2022)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Defender today?