Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The (world famous) Defender and Trailer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 12:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,181 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
Not towing now, but I've got a 25' Airstream which should be delivered in September. The 7,300 lbs GVWR of the trailer is well within the P400 specs of 8,200. However, the trailer tongue weight of 880 exceeds the specs of 771. To address that, I had the hitch attachment strengthened. I'm using a Eaz-lift Elite weight distribution hitch with sway control. And yes, the manual says trucks with air suspension should not use WD hitches, but the towing experts with whom I've been working recommend this setup and folks with an identical setup are reporting an excellent towing experience. The spare will get in the way of the trailer jack. The hitch was shortened to improve the leverage so I've moved the spare to the roof rack. I chose the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite brake controller and installed the control in the spare knock-out below the dash dimmer switch.

That's a fine beefy looking strut. Reduces your clearance and departure angles a bit no? I guess on the upside it confer's some protection perhaps.

You're braver than me, towing such a big beast with the Defender. I'm sure like with most things, experience will expand your comfort zone.

If I had my own trailer I'd for sure hard wire in a brake controller and conform to the 6.9" LR hole to pin max. I'd love to get an off-road trailer setup at some point. Mine is just a rental.

Old 07-04-2022, 12:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 214 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
That's a fine beefy looking strut. Reduces your clearance and departure angles a bit no? I guess on the upside it confer's some protection perhaps.

You're braver than me, towing such a big beast with the Defender. I'm sure like with most things, experience will expand your comfort zone.

If I had my own trailer I'd for sure hard wire in a brake controller and conform to the 6.9" LR hole to pin max. I'd love to get an off-road trailer setup at some point. Mine is just a rental.
Actually, it's the hitch receiver that impacts the departure angle, not the additional support. And no change to the clearance since it's tucked up above the rear suspension components. I hadn't thought about it, but you're right, that thing may add aa bit of protection to the muffler.

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (07-04-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 06:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

After a long 10 month wait our Patriot X3 finally arrived. We already love it, P300 barely breaks a sweat pulling it on and off road.

Last edited by mrmihai; 11-01-2022 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Posted on wrong thread
Old 11-02-2022, 06:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Back to the original questions, we’ve towed a 2200lb off road trailer with fully articulating hitch everywhere and will be moving to a 3700 lb (dry) off-road trailer next year and the P400 doesn’t even know they are there. Mileage is generally in the 14-15 mpg range (US) with the smaller trailer. These are built with nice long necks so no problem with tire clearance and I use a hitch receiver that is within LR specs. Going longer does risk messing up handling in a way that you might not even realize until an emergency maneuver is required, so I’d approach that option with caution. I would also avoid a WD hitch no matter what any towing expert says. LR knows their cars and says not to do it for a reason. General rule is avoid going over 80% capacity on any towing limit. Consider that good advice. People towing at limits are taking undue risk. It all may feel fine in normal driving, but swerve to avoid something and you’ll quickly find out why LR sets these limits on weights and hitch length.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tartan:
EasternShoreDefender (11-02-2022), GavinC (11-02-2022), GrouseK9 (11-02-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 08:05 AM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartan
Back to the original questions, we’ve towed a 2200lb off road trailer with fully articulating hitch everywhere and will be moving to a 3700 lb (dry) off-road trailer next year and the P400 doesn’t even know they are there. Mileage is generally in the 14-15 mpg range (US) with the smaller trailer. These are built with nice long necks so no problem with tire clearance and I use a hitch receiver that is within LR specs. Going longer does risk messing up handling in a way that you might not even realize until an emergency maneuver is required, so I’d approach that option with caution. I would also avoid a WD hitch no matter what any towing expert says. LR knows their cars and says not to do it for a reason. General rule is avoid going over 80% capacity on any towing limit. Consider that good advice. People towing at limits are taking undue risk. It all may feel fine in normal driving, but swerve to avoid something and you’ll quickly find out why LR sets these limits on weights and hitch length.
Can you share a link to the hitch receiver you use?

Old 11-02-2022, 08:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Bought it at local auto store. It’s within a tenth of an inch of spec distance from pin to ball. The closest I could find anywhere short of spending hundreds on the Lr OEM, and close enough I figure.

Old 11-20-2022, 08:52 AM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

I remove my spare tire also if not, I can’t get the dogs out when we tow our trailer.