Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X vs X-Dynamic 'fully loaded' differences? + brake sizes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X vs X-Dynamic 'fully loaded' differences? + brake sizes

I am close to placing an order for a MY2023 110 P400 X or X-Dynamic (Canadian spec) but I am having a hard time understanding the differences between the two models. Due to the current vehicle shortage my local dealer doesn't have either package in stock for me to look at.

Initially I spec'd an X because I want air suspension, Windsor leather and the interactive dash display. What I don't like on the X are the orange brake calipers, orange tow hooks, additional gloss black painted areas (hood) and the Light Oyster headlining isn't available. What am I missing if I go with the X-Dynamic 'fully loaded' instead of the X? Does the X have any features not listed above that aren't available as options on the X-Dynamic? It seems like the leather seating options are different.

X = Ebony/Ebony Windsor leather and Steelcut premium textile seats with Ebony interior

X-Dynamic = Ebony/Ebony Windsor leather and Robustec seats with Ebony interior

Can anyone post pics of a description of the seating difference?

Also, I would prefer to order 20” wheels w/off-road tires but the MY2030 product summary pdf indicates that the only way to get the larger 380mm/365mm brakes is to order 22” wheels. Is this correct? I am surprised that L.R. changes the brake size on the P400 based on the wheels ?

Front brakes: 363 mm ventilated disc (380mm w/ 22" wheels)

Rear brakes: 350 mm ventilated disc (365mm w/ 22" wheels)

Thanks

Old 04-16-2022, 11:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,127 Likes on 608 Posts

I have a 2020 X. I am definitely sure that the brakes on the X are not different depending on wheel size... it's trim and engine choice. Anyway, that's weird, where did you see that info?

Old 04-16-2022, 11:38 AM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

20 and 19 inch wheels have 4 piston front calipers

21 and 22 wheels have 6piston fromt calipers.

18 inch wheels have floAting calipers ( i think two piston but jot absolutely sure)

Old 04-16-2022, 04:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,238 Likes on 737 Posts

This thread has some of the same Q's that you do and has some details re: the two. It may help: Link.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
PJL36 (04-18-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 08:41 PM
Drifting
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I went through this exercise for an order before ending up purchasing what they had on the way due to delivery time. I ended up with an X-Dynamic with the must have options I was looking for like air suspension.

To avoid the blacked out bits on the X I optioned up an X-Dynamic as much as possible and it was $9000 less than a similarity built X. I didn't care about the cost I just didn't like the blacked out look. I couldn't really figure out the differences, I added every package and option to the X-Dynamic. Below its an email from my dealer rep when he figured out the differences.

I am happy with the X-Dynamic I have, the seats are a durable material but I think the Windsor leather would be softer and way more comfortable and possibly have better bolsters. My wife's Range Rover has the Windsor leather and its really nice and the seats are not flat like the Defender. 12 versus 14 way, meh.... but if you can option the windsor on an X-Dynamic that would be great.

The brakes I have with 20" wheels are good. I am not sure I would notice a difference with the bigger breaks, its not a track car. I have huge carbon ceramics on another car and it needs them, the Defender is not fast. 20" wheels also give you a 6" sidewall if that is important to you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I’ve looked into your build and here are the differences that I’ve found.
Defender X;
  • Upgrade Seats to Windsor leather
  • 14 way seat
  • Dark grey cross bar beam in the interior
  • Orange recovery hooks
  • Orange brake calipers
  • Gloss black exterior paint
  • Darkened tail lights
  • HUD

The X-Dynamic;
  • 12 way seat
  • Light grey cross bar beam in the interior
  • Black recovery hooks
  • Grey brake calipers

Other than the seat materials, the 14 way seat, HUD, and the cross bar beam, the difference is mostly cosmetics on the exterior including the ‘Defender X’ badge.

I also looked into the size of the brakes and the bigger ones only come in the 22” wheels.

20” wheels 22” wheels
Front Brakes – 363mm Front Brakes – 380mm
Rear Brakes – 350 mm Rear Brakes – 365mm

I hope you find this information useful.

Thank you

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by PJL36
I am close to placing an order for a MY2023 110 P400 X or X-Dynamic (Canadian spec) but I am having a hard time understanding the differences between the two models. Due to the current vehicle shortage my local dealer doesn't have either package in stock for me to look at.

Initially I spec'd an X because I want air suspension, Windsor leather and the interactive dash display. What I don't like on the X are the orange brake calipers, orange tow hooks, additional gloss black painted areas (hood) and the Light Oyster headlining isn't available. What am I missing if I go with the X-Dynamic 'fully loaded' instead of the X? Does the X have any features not listed above that aren't available as options on the X-Dynamic? It seems like the leather seating options are different.

X = Ebony/Ebony Windsor leather and Steelcut premium textile seats with Ebony interior

Can anyone post pics of a description of the seating difference?

Also, I would prefer to order 20” wheels w/off-road tires but the MY2030 product summary pdf indicates that the only way to get the larger 380mm/365mm brakes is to order 22” wheels. Is this correct? I am surprised that L.R. changes the brake size on the P400 based on the wheels ?

Front brakes: 363 mm ventilated disc (380mm w/ 22" wheels)

Rear brakes: 350 mm ventilated disc (365mm w/ 22" wheels)

Thanks

Old 04-18-2022, 09:27 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies. I will order the 22" wheels to get the big brakes and buy aftermarket 20" wheels - best of both worlds.

I am still not 100% clear on the seat material and covering differences.

Can someone post photos of both interior trim levels? Based on a couple of photos I've seen it almost looks like the X-Dynamic seating surface isn't all leather ?

Old 04-26-2024, 12:04 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bumping this thread as I think available options have changed for the X-Dynamic SE starting in 2023 and 2024 so it can be optioned even closer to the X. The big example is that X Dynamic SE now also gets standard air suspension like only the X and V8 had in prior years. I'm looking at either a 2023, 2024, or waiting for a 2025 Defender 130 and trying to decide on X or a fully loaded X Dynamic SE which is a solid $15k cheaper and has more of a used market availability to pick from if not ordering new. I'm also going to diy add $7k of Urban parts to the Defender regardless of which trim I go with. I have a Raptor for off roading so that aspect is not of concern, the Defender will be for hauling kids in style with 3 needed rows and still being able to pull a wake boat up north.

My build preferences for new or used:

X Dynamic SE: Carpathian Grey ($1550) (Signature graphic in black ($200); Extended black exterior ($1310) 22'' black wheels ($2400***?? on this); Black contrast Roof ($0), Vintage Tan Windsor and Robustec seats ($2400); Cross Beam in dark grey ($200) ; Meridian Surround ($450) ; Clearsight mirror ($570) ; Tow receiver ($700). Total MSRP $91,285.

X: Same confiuration: $106,835 MSRP ($15,500 more than X dynamic SE)

The only differences I notice are the X has the clear tail lights I want ($600 DIY) and I probably prefer the black hood/grill ($500 to paint gloss black) and the orange calipers and rear tow hooks (maybe $500 to paint if I bring the calipers in with the hood + some stickers on ebay). Don't care about an X badge, so the exterior is basically $1600 to update to the X specs I want. The more noticeable difference is probably the Extended Windsor Leather interior and the Robustec partially eliminated (still on bottom part and backs of seat cushions unfortunately) which I really don't care for as it reminds me of Ford Explorer seat materials. I like the cross beam in leather as well and door cards that you can only get with the X. Also, looks like the X gets standard configurable interior colors and not needing to spend $1k on the Comfort/Convenience Pack to get it in the SE which is kinda cool b/c I don't need a fridge and not paying $1k for that option.

It's possible to find a used 2023 sub 15k mile 130X, often certified for 4 years, for the same price as a new X Dynamic SE, but there are not that many available to chose from and none close I can inspect. Otherwise, I'm having a hard time rationalizing why not order a new (maybe wait for 2025 to see what other options are offered) Dynamic SE, live without the extended windsor leather, and for 1/10th the price difference just mod the exterior along with the Urban parts myself? Is there anything else I'm missing?

*** Is it still true that only cars spec'd with 22'' wheels get the biggest brakes as this post above says: https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...69/#post821835 . I ask because I plan to buy some Urban parts including their WX2 22''' wheels so am torn what to do on wheels. I do want the biggest brakes possible, and also figure I can use the (not cheap) tires that come on the 22'' wheels and TPMS to swap over and save the stock 22'' wheels or sell them stripped.

This is generally the look I'm going for on the 130:

Last edited by MikeR397; 04-26-2024 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:07 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the V8 130, at $120k msrp order, gets the proper full Windsor leather interior where the whole chair and backs and doors are trimmed in leather and none of the robustec. It’s too bad not a single new v8 130 is for sale on auto trader, let alone finding a carpathion grey with tan interior, but I’ll keep my eyes open.

Driving my XFR this morning reminds me how much I’ll miss not having that v8 (modified exhaust) sound in the defender so considering ponying up the extra cash, it’s just gonna be 2025 before an order comes in.