Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

2003 Dll Swap/Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 03:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Tomorrow should be a light day. Just going to swap coolant reservior, change thermostat (again, since l'm not liking new one...but more research before l bad mouth it). Maybe clean the interior a bit. Need to rest up some, before heading back to work (yuck).

Brian.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Looking good man, how's my future 928 looking?

Old 01-13-2019, 07:00 AM
Camel Trophy

​​​​​​​

Old 01-13-2019, 08:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts
Old 01-13-2019, 01:57 PM
Camel Trophy

Well, since me and the 03 have been off to a rough start...started studying the matter in greater detail.

Things started off fine, after l got it running. Drove it for a few days around the block (country block) and she seemed fine and dandy. So, l decided to get rid of the red coolade in the reservior. While draining it down, l looked at the new thermostat that l'd removed from the white 04 (while pulling engine). Thought, hey...might as well throw that in this one. Looked it over...says Motorad on the side. Bleed the system, around the block and everything seems fine.

Next day l drive it to work and then to get plates, get the plates and run out of gas a few feet outside of the DMV, wife rescues me, off l go again...only to blow the top radiator hose a few miles down the road. Trailer it home, change top hose with newer one off white 04. That hoses blows the next day going to work. Huh? Starting to think, Huston we have a problem. Buy a new hose and install, refill and bleed. Do the exhaust gases in cooling system check, nothing. Drive home and check under the hood...the hose next to it is about the size of a softball, change that one, road test and the one connecting to the T is huge. Huh? Rechecked the cooling system for exhaust gases...nothing. The thing never uses anti-freeze (unless it hlows a hose...lol).

So, last night l started thinking about the timeline and what l'd changed to create this issue. Thermostat. Hmmm? So, changed it out, back to the original one that came out. Bleed system, again, road test, seems okay. Hmmm? Grab the Deputy, he's always game for a ride, or walk if called for, and we head out on the open highway. Ten miles, stop and check, no big hoses, twenty miles, check, no big hoses, forty miles, check...no big hoses or unusual syptoms. Great heat and reservior right where l filled it.

Sooooooooo...maybe bad thermostat? We've all read the horror stories here about Motorad stats. Anyhow, l stuck a fork in her for today. Only other things l did was swap out reservior, install left rear mudflap/bracket and add washer fluid. When the wife gets home, we'll probably head out for a bit to eat...we'll see what happens on that trip (should be about third miles round trip. Yes, living in the country has some drawbacks...but the benefits out weigh them by a few bizillion.

Brian.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:07 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Better send that to that guy (Shanechevelle) who insists there isn't a bad stat out there.

Last edited by Dave03S; 01-13-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:51 PM
Camel Trophy

Hey, l didn't want to believe it either...but things were just starting to add up in that direction. A few other hints were happening along the way, too. While opening the gate at work l notice it seemed to be making a very slight 'tinking' noise (like a hot running engine makes) and it would even have a slight lifter noise, which it never had originally.

After todays long test drive...no tinking or lifter noises at all. I'm going to give it a few more days before making a public announcement...lol.

Brian.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Sooo.. question about the rail extensions -- what size hole saw did you use to drill the roof? The instructions call for 34mm i think

Old 01-14-2019, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy

​​​​​​​Still looks like it's worth way to much more than my 110

Old 01-15-2019, 03:05 AM
Camel Trophy

I can take a ball peen hammer to it...if that would help...lol.

She's pretty nice, but not immaculate by no means. Paint is about a 7 out of 10 (color is all there, just starting to crackle from age and a few bumps and bruises), interior about the same. She's low mileage though, 78K. It drives great, and when l drove it to the storage facility last fall...l thought...man l love this car. Mentioned selling it to my wife, she said, well it's up to you, but we could then use the money for a travel trailer. Then we end up buying a trailer last month...so...hmmm...do l really want to get rid of it...lol. 110's have always interested my brain though.

Brian.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dll Swap/Build