Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Operation Magpie.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 10:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

More time has past and nothing to really report. I think some of the suspension bushings must be going, MagPie feels very jello-y going over speed bumps / curbs at an angle -- Radius arms maybe Rolled past 138k (damn commute) and everything is operating just fine. Took of the TJM bumper and put the OEM one back on -- much like the look. Bumper is on CL because.. I never really liked it.

Enough time has passed that I feel i can share the pic of my Wifey's 91' 240 Volvo that was smashed up -- car is gone. I'm so unbelievable thankful for what this slow, boxy and very Swedish wagon did -- saved my Wifey's life. Apparently the response team made comments of how if this was any other call that she probably would have been killed.

Name:  8zMVAcl.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  1.34 MB

She loved that car so much but we found her another which is a tad bit younger.. 2000k XC70 awd with 95k on the clock -- have service records at least an inch thick. Found on CL and was probably the 4th person to respond to the ad. Offered a few hundred more and we walked away with the keys in hand -- Seller said that the other "buyers" were really upset at me lol. Money is money and sometimes money talks

Extra bonus points for being an exact match to MagPie -- white with tan interior.

Name:  Loy2UFQ.jpg
Size:  1.31 MB

No real plans to do anything with it other than fixing some door cards -- also came with an extra set of wheels which.. look terrible.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (05-03-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 07:13 AM
Pro Wrench

Summer is here which.. sucks. We didn't get a damn Spring here in Denver last year at all which is annoying. Snowed last week and now its in the upper 80's I'm thinking that i need to flush the coolant system since i'm not super stoked on temps i'm seeing while driving home from work in the afternoons. The temps are in the "normal" range of operation but its annoying to me that things were running cooler last summer. I was only running water and wetter water last summer so maybe i'll switch back to that. Cruising on the hwy i'll see about 190-194 but as soon as i turn on the AC it'll jump to the low 200's for about 5mins (while driving) and then settle down to upper 190's. Sitting in traffic it'll sit in the lower 200's Running inline tstat with hayden clutch / dorman fan.

I had a thought that maybe i could wire up a switch to the aux fan so that i can turn it on when ever rather than waiting until it hits 210.

Found some mud after it snowed last week.

Name:  52ilztv.jpg
Size:  1.10 MB

The Deputy (05-25-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 01:08 AM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Did you get your vibration sorted out ?

Old 05-15-2019, 07:29 AM
Pro Wrench

Kinda sorta?

i changed out the grease on the front shaft for something more tacky/thick and that seemed to help quite a bit. Still gotta rotate tires to see if those could be a possibility.. There’s also the rear shaft / rotoflex.. so yeah, gotta do some more tinkering but vibration is probably 60% gone

Richard Gallant (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 07:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth Saturnine; your 80* and mine are night and day. I changed a tire on a trip out west and didn't break a sweat at 96*. On the east coast it's so humid usually, you can't walk to your car without feeling all sticky and oppressed by the heat, once it's here. We didn't get a spring last year either. It went from cold, damp, rainy to oppressive hot and humid. Your definition of summer sounds like the spring we missed. This spring it's been constantly raining and we're expecting the hazy, hot, humid to turn on like a switch any day now. I'd move out there if I could but I'm stuck here for now.. Enjoy what you have!

Old 05-25-2019, 05:35 PM
Pro Wrench

Well, throttle cable snapped while the wifey was driving MagPie -- good thing she wasn't in a spot where she was in danger. Major bummer is that she is working up in the mountains and there arent' really a lot of resources around to get this fixed.. Soooo.. Ran to the bike store and picked up a 200mm brake cable which should hopefully work out until i get a new cable ordered.

I'll post pics later with a fix

Old 05-25-2019, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Love the XC70 almost bought one a dozen times.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:40 PM
Pro Wrench

It’s been a solid car thus far.. fuel pump is ridiculously loud but has been replaced

Old 06-04-2019, 09:51 PM
Pro Wrench

Random pics i was to lazy to post earlier

Brake cable / throttle body cable fix:

Name:  n9sUKUM.jpg
Size:  955.2 KB

Name:  Fln7YCa.jpg
Size:  1.19 MB

And thats all the pics i took of that -- still holding up just fine. Might just keep it this way it is and keep a spare cable / ferrules in the car if it gets busted again.

This was the pic my wifey sent me when the cable busted:

Name:  886pSmj.jpg
Size:  1.33 MB

Hit an all time low for coolant temps that same weekend while driving over the rockies -- it was probably low 40's and driving 50-60 mph downhill.

Name:  dYdlPo8.jpg
Size:  905.5 KB

I really gotta get under the truck this weekend and do some serious poking around - either bushings in radius arms are toast or tie rods / ball joints, truck just feels really sloppy while driving on the freeway.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Random pics i was to lazy to post earlier

Brake cable / throttle body cable fix:

And thats all the pics i took of that -- still holding up just fine. Might just keep it this way it is and keep a spare cable / ferrules in the car if it gets busted again.

This was the pic my wifey sent me when the cable busted:

Hit an all time low for coolant temps that same weekend while driving over the rockies -- it was probably low 40's and driving 50-60 mph downhill.

I really gotta get under the truck this weekend and do some serious poking around - either bushings in radius arms are toast or tie rods / ball joints, truck just feels really sloppy while driving on the freeway.
That’s awesome! Glad it’s all fixed up, and guess who was right? You! It was my temp sensor (brand new from lucky8) that was broke on my truck! Sadly it costed me $350 and a trip to a Land Rover tech to find that out.

Quick Reply: Operation Magpie.