Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

How do you like the Geolander tires? Looking at several different ones right now.

DuraTracs, Cooper STT Pro, Wrangler MTR are the front runners currently. 235 85 16s

Jason

Old 11-11-2015, 08:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

They're actually Treadwright Guard Dogs on Geolander skins. Needing tires at the time of purchase, yet new to the Disco and unsure of my commitment I immediately looked to Treadwright for tires to save some dough. I'm into those tires for $396.00 shipped. I've owned 24 of their tires over the years with great success from small dump trucks to daily drivers to off road. Also have owned BFG's, MTR's, & Swampers of all sorts. In comparison the Guard Dogs are pretty aggressive & wear like iron, street noise is a bit higher pitched in comparison but that's probably due to their width.

Here's a link to the tire I'm running- (yes for now, I get a little rub)

https://www.treadwright.com/individu...265-70R16.00-D

If you sign up for their news letter, you'll learn of sales & free shipping deals by email.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
They're actually Treadwright Guard Dogs on Geolander skins. Needing tires at the time of purchase, yet new to the Disco and unsure of my commitment I immediately looked to Treadwright for tires to save some dough. I'm into those tires for $396.00 shipped. I've owned 24 of their tires over the years with great success from small dump trucks to daily drivers to off road. Also have owned BFG's, MTR's, & Swampers of all sorts. In comparison the Guard Dogs are pretty aggressive & wear like iron, street noise is a bit higher pitched in comparison but that's probably due to their width.

Here's a link to the tire I'm running- (yes for now, I get a little rub)

https://www.treadwright.com/individu...265-70R16.00-D

If you sign up for their news letter, you'll learn of sales & free shipping deals by email.

What lift are you running? I like the look of a few of these tires.

J

Old 11-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle

No lift yet, I'm committing little by little.
The truck sat for 2 years, dealing with small issues here and there & trying to rack up some miles on it. Like you, I come from a different neighborhood working with Jeeps over the last 18 years, 16 with an open door.....you with a different brand. So in short, I'm still working on the commitment phase prior to just throwing money at it, the lift will come in time, probably a simple 2". I find a lot of it's engineering thru-out the rig entertaining, but frustrating compared to other brands....

Old 11-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Former Sponsor

No lift yet, I'm committing little by little.
The truck sat for 2 years, dealing with small issues here and there & trying to rack up some miles on it. Like you, I come from a different neighborhood working with Jeeps over the last 18 years, 16 with an open door.....you with a different brand. So in short, I'm still working on the commitment phase prior to just throwing money at it, the lift will come in time, probably a simple 2". I find a lot of it's engineering thru-out the rig entertaining, but frustrating compared to other brands....

I just ordered a 2" Heavy TF kit from Justin @ Lucky8 and looking at 32s tires. I'd go 33s but hear they rub, but haven't found where they rub yet, if I can add a wheel spacer and eliminate the rub, I'm in for 33s, if its fenders... I'll stick to 32s, not a fan of cutting sheetmetal if I can keep from it.

Jason

Old 11-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Trail-Tailor
I just ordered a 2" Heavy TF kit from Justin @ Lucky8 and looking at 32s tires. I'd go 33s but hear they rub, but haven't found where they rub yet, if I can add a wheel spacer and eliminate the rub, I'm in for 33s, if its fenders... I'll stick to 32s, not a fan of cutting sheetmetal if I can keep from it.

Jason

I've yet to find spacers for the D1 lug pattern. I went with as large as the fender well's would handle with no lift......also have zero interest in regearing as these things are sooo touchy.......I'm finding the 265/70 actually makes mine shift better. I toss up a picture of the lug pattern tomorrow as delivered.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Former Sponsor

I've yet to find spacers for the D1 lug pattern. I went with as large as the fender well's would handle with no lift......also have zero interest in regearing as these things are sooo touchy.......I'm finding the 265/70 actually makes mine shift better. I toss up a picture of the lug pattern tomorrow as delivered.

Should be a 5 on 6.5" pattern. I can have those laser cut out of solid steel or aluminum if need be...

J

Old 11-11-2015, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,478 Likes on 1,206 Posts

There are more than a few vendors out there for the wheels spacers.

Wheel Adapters Discovery Range Rover Land Spacers 1 5" | eBay

I picked up mine from these guys. 33's with a 2 inch lift will most likely catch on the fender lips on full stuff. You would likely need a camel trophy cut on the fenders.

With the 2 inch lift might I recommend the guard dogs in a 235/85R16.

I run the Guard Dogs with kedge grip on the 110 and they wear like iron give great traction in extremely nasty mud. They also did fantastic in the winter months in Chicago. I have been really happy with them. Also they do a bead to bead now that is even better in the terms of quality.

The 2" lift with the 235/85 on a disco 1 or RRC really looks the business to me.

The following users liked this post:
Trail-Tailor (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thank you for the link Army, even with my tire I'd need a lift 1st.....good to learn they're out there!

Old 11-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Former Sponsor

I didn't see a 235 85 16 Guard Dog on the TW site.. maybe I missed it.. I would have pulled the trigger already for those prices..

J

Quick Reply: Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-