Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

4X4 is jammed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hold on first off are you doing it correctly? Side to side should slide easily anytime, between high and low the transmission must be in neutral, and most people find if the truck is rolling it slides right in.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Being new to it, he most likely is not familar with it from his first description. The Discovery is somewhat unique in this aspect.

Geek did a nice presentation and description also. I enjoyed the video's but had to fast forward thru the second one. The bloke did not bother to remove the center console! I also cut a similar "access panel" in about the same location but stopped short of beating it with a broken broomstick.

Photos are available in the link in my signature if you care to see multiple pics of a totally disassembled CDL shifter. If it has not been used much, it probably is frozen in place but can be resolved with a patient exploratory. But do make sure you understand how it is supposed to work and save yourself some grief.

Also do a search on CDL Shifter and see what already exists, because I hate retyping the same info over and over and over...............

Have fun with the Discovery, it is addictive, hope you have lots of time or lots of disposable income or hidden cash..........

Old 09-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Pro Wrench

If the side to side slides easily and the hi to low doesn't budge at all I would check the transfer case solenoid before tearing apart the transfercase

Old 09-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
If the side to side slides easily and the hi to low doesn't budge at all I would check the transfer case solenoid before tearing apart the transfercase
X2. And the access panel DannyLee mentioned is a great idea IMHO. I did the same. No more tearing out the console for the new owner.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

my access panel is held in place with sheet metal screw, takes me only a few minutes to take it apart.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Pro Wrench

I agree the access panel will help you get to the solenoid too

Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I appreciate all the agreement, most people get critical of taking hole saws and metal shears to their beloved Rovers, but I figure them to be improvements that allow you to both see and reach certain items at the same time so you can maintain the beast. I got spoiled working on military aircraft as a young lad.

I also saw an article in the Rover's North magazine crediting the work of early RRC owners with adding such modifications to the RRC to gain access to the fuel pump under the rear cargo floor. Thee RRC did not have the panel above the fuel pump that we Discovery Owners enjoy today. So I applied the same philosophy to gaining access to the transfer case guts.

My front inner fender walls also have been modified to allow improved access to the starter and the y-pipe flange. Makes working on them much easier when you can both see and reach whatever you need to fix.

Have fun with it.