Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

94 Land Rover - Water Pump Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 94 Land Rover - Water Pump Questions

Hi Guys,

I pour antifreeze into the overflow and a stream of antifreeze pours down the front of the engine - I can't see the spot it is leaking -

Prior to failure - I could hear some bearing noise at the front end - At the time, I checked the oil and it was a quart low. So I added oil and daughter took her for a mall run.

Fortunately the failure occurred just as she pulled into the drive - There doesn't seem to be any head damage with over heating. The oil is still clean and "water" free. Not so sure about oil in the water - as the water system is compromised at the moment.

I am seeking any input from anyone who has done this job and/or related work.

I intend to remove the radiator so any help insight on doing that would also be helpful -

Also - the local Autozone/Kragen want 200+ for the part - It seems much less expensive to get it online.
Any Replacement WaterPump Suggestions? Your input will be greatly appreciated..

I also will be pic-docing the process and will do a write up on this topic.

Thanks for you input!!! Any and all is (again) highly appreciated!!!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a pretty straight forward job so you shouldnt have any trouble with that aspect. I cant really specify if one brand is better than another, some purists only use LR branded parts, others throw whatever is on sale on their vehicles. A water pump isnt really an engineering masterpiece so I would imagine they are all about the same. IF you notice one being 100% cheaper than all of the rest, there is probably a reason though. Personally I like buying locally, that way if I have a problem with the part I can just return it, shipping stuff back and forth is a PITA and some online companies will give you flack about returns/exchanges when it comes to auto parts. You can spend a few more bucks and get a high volume pump if I'm not mistaken but I dunno who sells them.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Draw your belt route now.

If you slip off the fan belt and turn the water pump you will most likely notice roughness. Did not have to remove radiator on mine. If you do, however, how about having a local indy radiator flush and rod it out? Mine was full of calcium from well water, tap water, etc., $75.

Water pump runs $50 up. Here's pix of what to expect. Main job is getting fan off the unit, do this before you take off the belt. Uses a long wrench, pop the handle toward the battery with hammer while pulling up on fan belt.

Be sure to keep bolts in order, they are various lengths. Do not want to shear one off in the front cover of the engine. Took me an hour after fan clutch off.

If taking fan apart - cupped side of blades go toward engine lock. Recheck belt route.

Rock Auto has starting at $47, British Pacific has @ $55 ish, BPU has a high volume pump for about $140, and up. Or $6 at the junk yard, if you spot a newer one like I did. That's it on the right.

Attached Thumbnails 94 Land Rover - Water Pump Questions-p1030594.jpg   94 Land Rover - Water Pump Questions-p1030595.jpg   94 Land Rover - Water Pump Questions-p1030596.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 12-18-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

DiscoMike posted about a high quality water pump a week or so ago but I cant find it.
$150 if I remember right.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
DiscoMike posted about a high quality water pump a week or so ago but I cant find it.
$150 if I remember right.
Hey Spike and Guys -

I went with the RockAuto 50.00 one - no money so have to go with lowest price unfortunately - It is very possible that I'll be selling this rig after I fix the water pump. She should be road ready at that point now that I've done all the maint. and fixed all her issues - We will see -

Thanks again for all the advice..

Trav...

Old 12-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

FYI - pump Spike was looking for is at BPUtah, $140

Attached Thumbnails 94 Land Rover - Water Pump Questions-land_range_rover_classic_discovery_defender_oem_water_pump_g.jpg  
Old 12-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Mudding

Hi Guys -

Something seems confusing to me -
If you look at the "Belt Routing" it appears that the pulley for the water pump runs counter clockwise. -

With water pump in hand - Looks exactly like the pics in previous posts in this thread - I turn it counter clockwise and the blades in the water pump turn opposite direction then that blades -

This is very confusing - The blades point towards a clockwise direction, but turn counter clockwise -

Can someone explain why the blades are not pointed in a counter clockwise direction?

Thanks,
Trav...

Old 12-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The impeller pushes water away from it, if it scooped water it would just cavitate at the impeller and not move much if any coolant.
Thats why when the belt is on wrong the engine runs hot.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
The impeller pushes water away from it, if it scooped water it would just cavitate at the impeller and not move much if any coolant.
Thats why when the belt is on wrong the engine runs hot.
Great explanation - Thanks for helping me get the confusion straight..

Trav...