Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 Disco HG Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, talk about a lot of gunk! At least now you got a great opportunity to clean it instead of running seafoam induction cleaning thru the intake! It would be nice to have one of those commercial type cleaning/degreasing stations to immerse those valve covers in.

At least one side had a significant amount of the gasket left on the block. Had the PO been running it without a gasket on one cover?

I had looked up the retail value on the latest on line KBB, the only category I could get was excellent and the listed value was $4188 if I remember right, but it also said only 3% of the 97's available are in excellent condition, so when you finish everything, yours may end up in that small percentile.

If you have a steel straight edge or a really good level, you could check the block and mating surfaces for flatness to see how much warpage (if any) it has suffered.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm actually planning to have most of the parts cleaned at the machine shop where the head machining will be done as well.

Both had gaskets but only the right one had orange goo.

That 3% is the goal

I'll try the straight edge idea

Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
So far so good. Valve covers look just like the sales weasel dealer described.... although dark and oily is preferred to brown and crispy, so you are ahead of some things.

Yeah, a crispy critter would indicate deep-fried.

I would be sure and share all your findings with that dealer.

And quit feeling sorry for him, no matter what line they give you they made plenty on that sell. They started with an inflated asking price just so they could let you talk them down as much to make you feel like you got a good deal. And the trade is usually free to them because of the inflated asking price.

A lot of guys on here would feel great to be able to sell theirs for what you paid. And theirs would have been in better shape. As far as me, I would not want to let minee go cheap beause replacing it with anything comparable that runs half way decent would be difficult.

But putting it back together to a solid platform by correcting what is bad and otherwise staying pretty much stock for the time being is smarter than modifying and loading up one that may end up scrapped if it does encounter a problem.

Great photos, keep us posted.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:19 PM

I agree, let the machine shop deal with the severe cleaning and any technical stuff.

Sounds like you'll do well with it.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:22 PM

What kind of business do you work for? I guess you may be familar with basic items like flatness and such.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks Danny. I definitely want to get it into best shape possible and I don't mind spending the time, money, or learning.

I'm a software engineer for a large door manufacturer. I've read about RA and such if that's what you mean.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Pro Wrench

Since I'm getting to the guts now here comes my next question: What else is worth replacing? I would hate for one old part to ruin my rebuilt engine.

Paul already suggested camshaft, timing chain, and lifters. Not sure exactly which parts are meant by lifters. Anything else that could fail? Bearings? Crankshaft?

Then, are there any potential issues mixing old parts with new?

I really want to be thorough and do this right. Thanks

Old 09-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The lifters are the fat cylinder things that rest on the cam shaft lobes, and move those push rods up, in your video. Parts to consider replacing at this time would be oil pump, timing chain, cam shaft and lifters if wear patterns indicate, water pump. The valve seals need to be done when the heads are done.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-29-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:31 AM

I would also look at https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-instal-43603/

While you are that deep into it, drop the oil pan so you can check the oil pick up tube and screen. Clean out the oil pan, replace that gasket. The link above has excellent pictures of the timing chain and related internals.

Water pump and oil pump, timing chain all come to mind. You may as well be thorough the first time.

And in your spare time at work, how about coming up with a replacement rear door for the Discovery.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Pro Wrench

Ok guys I'll work on those.

What's wrong with the back door?

Quick Reply: 97 Disco HG Repair