Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 Swivel Ball Rebuild. help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 98 Swivel Ball Rebuild. help!

Hi all,

Trying to do my swivel ***** tomorrow, got all my kit set up, used teflon-coated swivel ***** from Paul Grant, all ready to go when I notice that my swivel rebuild kits from Bearmach have come with two of the same swivel pin bearing and no railco bushing... The swivels from Paul came with the railco bush in them, but I guess I should use new ones... I thought I'd done all my homework on this, read the RAVE chapter, watched a plethora of youtube videos on it, but somehow I missed this. Incidentally, the RAVE hardly even mentions the railco bush and doesn't call it out in the swivel parts diagram. Brilliant. Anyway, question is how the heck do these bearings mate up with the railco bush? Do I even need the railco bush? One of the youtube videos (mind you for an older Defender) doesn't even show them using the railco at all, they just slam in new bearings on either side... Help!!!

Old 10-06-2018, 08:44 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Give Trevor at Rovah Farm a call on Monday. I'm sure he can set you up with what you need, brand new, at a great price. After all you've been through to get this job done right, don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
Cheers,
Paul

The following users liked this post:
vanbadri (10-06-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 06:42 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

I bought the swivel ***** from Paul and the rest of it from Trevor so I agree with Paul....call Trevor. He has great prices and absolutely knows his stuff.

If I understand correctly, you need part # FTC125 which is the 'cup' pressed into the top of the swivel in which the bearing and top pin sit.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
I bought the swivel ***** from Paul and the rest of it from Trevor so I agree with Paul....call Trevor. He has great prices and absolutely knows his stuff.

If I understand correctly, you need part # FTC125 which is the 'cup' pressed into the top of the swivel in which the bearing and top pin sit.
I've got a message in to Trevor right now. Yeah that's right, it's the little railco bushing. What amazes me is that they're almost $90 IIRC on AB, and Rovahfarm has them for $12. AB will usually get my business because they're based in my hometown, but you really can't argue with those prices...

Thanks all. I'll get these swivels done if it kills me.