Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ABS = annoying..yeah

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by thehun
10-4 it will be done...any CEL lights when you do that?
If you pull the 30A fuse yoru ABS light will stay on all the time.
If you pull the ABS fuse from under the dash the ABS light will stay on and you may get a check engine light, you may not.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by calebbo
Old school braking is pumping you brakes to stop right?

but when do you apply that? Because I don't think pumping your brakes every time to stop (ex. a stop sign) is very effective. I've tried once in awhile in the middle of the night and half the time I end up in the middle of the 4 way stop intersection haha. But then again I don't know how to do it properly. Is it like mashing your brakes, release, mash?
You are doing it wrong kido, when you "pump" the brakes you dont completely release them.
You just lessen the amount of brake pressure.
Hydraulic brakes are just that, hydraulic, which means they work on fluid pressure.
You press the brake pedal, the master cylinder magnifies that and sends it to the ABS modulator.
The ABS modulator then sends that magnified brake pressure to each wheel.
The more brake pressure the tighter the brake caliper grabs the brake rotor.
So the harder you press the brake pedal the harder the caliper grabs the rotor.
It takes practice, but manually pumping the brakes means you locking up the wheels and then releasing the brakes just enough for the wheels to start turning again.
Now locking them up at anytime is not a good thing, tires skid when they loose traction.
No traction means no stopping power.
Find a dirt road, mark a start and mark a "brake now" spot.
Speed up to ~25mph and mash your brake pedal to the floor and skid to a stop.
Now go back and try to stop shorter than you did before without locking up the wheels.
Obviously you cant do this on a busy dirt road, and you can't be stupid about doing it either.
Once you master that wait for it to rain, go to a empty rain covered parking lot and repeat this.
If you have snow do it in a empty snow covered parking lot too.
The idea is to let the wheels keep turning while using as much brake force as possible but not letting the wheels lock up.

ABS does all of this for you, but I am of the mind set that everyone needs to learn how to drive/stop without the aid of computers before relying on them.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
You are doing it wrong kido, when you "pump" the brakes you dont completely release them.
You just lessen the amount of brake pressure.
Hydraulic brakes are just that, hydraulic, which means they work on fluid pressure.
You press the brake pedal, the master cylinder magnifies that and sends it to the ABS modulator.
The ABS modulator then sends that magnified brake pressure to each wheel.
The more brake pressure the tighter the brake caliper grabs the brake rotor.
So the harder you press the brake pedal the harder the caliper grabs the rotor.
It takes practice, but manually pumping the brakes means you locking up the wheels and then releasing the brakes just enough for the wheels to start turning again.
Now locking them up at anytime is not a good thing, tires skid when they loose traction.
No traction means no stopping power.
Find a dirt road, mark a start and mark a "brake now" spot.
Speed up to ~25mph and mash your brake pedal to the floor and skid to a stop.
Now go back and try to stop shorter than you did before without locking up the wheels.
Obviously you cant do this on a busy dirt road, and you can't be stupid about doing it either.
Once you master that wait for it to rain, go to a empty rain covered parking lot and repeat this.
If you have snow do it in a empty snow covered parking lot too.
The idea is to let the wheels keep turning while using as much brake force as possible but not letting the wheels lock up.

ABS does all of this for you, but I am of the mind set that everyone needs to learn how to drive/stop without the aid of computers before relying on them.

Learned to drive in an old 70's GMC truck with a 3 speed on the column... In ND in the winter.... Does not get much harder that that. The rule of thought was, if you can learn to drive this way, you can drive anything anywhere.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ngarover
Learned to drive in an old 70's GMC truck with a 3 speed on the column... In ND in the winter.... Does not get much harder that that. The rule of thought was, if you can learn to drive this way, you can drive anything anywhere.
Exactly! My oldest son's first car was a 1985 3/4 ton Dodge 4x2 with the 8' bed and a 318 with a 2 barrel carb and 3 speed auto.
After he got detention from being late to school to many times he learned to to let it warm up in the morning, that got him out of bed sooner.
He learned how to work on cars, he no longer plays video games all day and has joined the Army to be a truck/diesel mechanic.
The truck had no floor, so he learned to dress warm.
It got 2mpg, so he learned how to carpool.
That truck was a huge POS, but he learned alot about cars and life.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
Exactly! My oldest son's first car was a 1985 3/4 ton Dodge 4x2 with the 8' bed and a 318 with a 2 barrel carb and 3 speed auto.
After he got detention from being late to school to many times he learned to to let it warm up in the morning, that got him out of bed sooner.
He learned how to work on cars, he no longer plays video games all day and has joined the Army to be a truck/diesel mechanic.
The truck had no floor, so he learned to dress warm.
It got 2mpg, so he learned how to carpool.
That truck was a huge POS, but he learned alot about cars and life.
You where easy on him... Mine was the manual... Took both feet to push the clutch! LOL!

Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

My dad taught me to drive a manual by having me take our '70 IH Travelall out putting fliers in mail boxes. Good thing last time I stalled it we were at the crest of a hill. LOL

Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Off roading wise do you ever use ABS anyways?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by antichrist
My dad taught me to drive a manual by having me take our '70 IH Travelall out putting fliers in mail boxes. Good thing last time I stalled it we were at the crest of a hill. LOL
Old school LOL. The biggest problem we have today is people do not LEARN how to drive. Everything is automatic computer controlled etc... in a few years you won't even steer anymore...

Old 12-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's my question.....

I yanked out the ABS Modulator on mine at the beginning of the year after it froze up. The only way to get the darn ABS light to go off is to remove the bulb.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm I don't have kids yet but lemme share my story. My step dad drove me around the neighborhood for about 10 minutes. Got out. Told me to jump in the drivers seat. Then he proceeded to walk off and said "Caleb, beat me home." Needless to say I didn't beat him after 2 hours, felt like an idiot in front of multiple neighbors and friends while stalling, but ever since I've driven a standard and loved it. This is actually my first automatic.

Quick Reply: ABS = annoying..yeah