Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ABS = annoying..yeah

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you two. If it could be fixed for cheap, why not? Rovers are them funny animals, some seem to have the same prob's, and some don't. In the years I've owned my disco, the abs system is one thing I have never had to mess with. And living where I do, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

And yes, I am old enough where I learned to drive without it(for many years). But when you live in an area where snow fall is sometimes measured in feet, it's awfully nice to have.

Although if Rover Chris made something to disable the modulator in event of an error, I would buy one in a second. Shoulda been that way factory.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Thanks for posting that. The OP wanted to try to read his codes. I feel like I am the only one trying to help him. Everyone else is telling him to pull everything. I think he is finally getting the answers he was looking for. It isn't just a sensor, so he is looking into other options..
And that is a good thing. I have just been pointing out why it's not a good idea to run around at all if your ABS is malfunctioning. Not only because the brakes failed totally on me (After which I had them worked on and was told they where fine) but, on a separate occasion with just my wife driving and our 2 kids in the car. I guess this is why I'm so **** about this issue.

As far as the truck being a collectors item... Not going to happen. Maybe the rare 50Th anniversary one, or one of the specialty trucks, but not the disco itself. Too many of them. Too many of them that can be had for next to nothing do to issues that in most cases are worth more than the truck to fix. There's a reason you can buy these trucks all day long in the 1000 to 2500 range. Sure, there are going to be those rare examples out there, but even their value gets hit just from the dominating perception presented by the glut of cheap trucks.

As to fixing something just because the factory put it there... There is a reason so many people sell AFTERMARK stuff, bumpers, Radios, ETC... Because, a lot of the time, factory original basically suck and could be improved upon and in some cases cheaper than the inferior factory equivalent.

I stand by my opinion of the factory ABS, and my solution to correct it by disabling it or removing it entirely.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys have been a lot of help. Thanks to each and every one of you. The good news is I figured out what the problem is, the bad is I can't shell out any more cash on the ABS. Funds are limited, and I just don't see any point in finding the cause of a problem that a week down the road can just reoccur. I'm pulling the fuse today, and yes I did try you guys. I got down in the mud and tapped those bad boys in. Next I have to replace a relay? And check all the connections? On top of that like I said a week later I could slide right into a bus or ambulance? (lots of those where I live) No thank you. Sure I drive with ABS and to the older guys who say it's a band-aid, I guess I'll stop using them and learn how to walk. Thanks for the help guys, just I have other things I need to work on. Learning to brake while pumping is one of them now apparently.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:13 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ngarover
And that is a good thing. I have just been pointing out why it's not a good idea to run around at all if your ABS is malfunctioning. Not only because the brakes failed totally on me (After which I had them worked on and was told they where fine) but, on a separate occasion with just my wife driving and our 2 kids in the car. I guess this is why I'm so **** about this issue.
Point taken. It is not safe when it is not working correctly.

As far as the truck being a collectors item... Not going to happen. Maybe the rare 50Th anniversary one, or one of the specialty trucks, but not the disco itself. Too many of them. Too many of them that can be had for next to nothing do to issues that in most cases are worth more than the truck to fix. There's a reason you can buy these trucks all day long in the 1000 to 2500 range. Sure, there are going to be those rare examples out there, but even their value gets hit just from the dominating perception presented by the glut of cheap trucks.
People think all sorts of things that I consider have no value, valuable. Where I live, cars are expensive if they run. Doesn't matter if my '86 Dodge D250 has the bed and body rusted through all over, it still sells for just over a grand. Why? Because that is what people are willing to pay. I consider the MG Midget a collectors car, but most people don't. Who is right and who is wrong? It is in the eye of the beholder. Some people wait most of their lives for a Land Rover. Doesn't matter how much the vehicle costs, only matters what it is worth to the owner. Someday, there will not be "too many" Discos. When my Citroen Familia Wagon was made, it was not a collectors car. And it still isn't to most(since they have no idea what it is), but to a handful of us, it is worth more than a D90.

As to fixing something just because the factory put it there... There is a reason so many people sell AFTERMARK stuff, bumpers, Radios, ETC... Because, a lot of the time, factory original basically suck and could be improved upon and in some cases cheaper than the inferior factory equivalent.
Aftermarket was designed not to replace faulty systems, but to give people options for their vehicles other than factory and dealer options. And for convenience and comfort.

I stand by my opinion of the factory ABS, and my solution to correct it by disabling it or removing it entirely.
And that is your opinion, which is shared by many on this forum. Also a very free/cheap fix. But you have to remember, not everyone shares that philosophy. I remove emissions "stuff" and most safety features from all my pre OBD2 vehicles. That is my preference, but not everyones.

Not picking on you personally, you just happen to be the most convenient. Take it with a grain of salt, just remember we are a forum community to help each other. It is all good info we share. I myself am debating as to whether I remove the functioning ABS in my '96 Disco. I like ABS for our steep hills covered in ice, but I don't want it to fail and lose brakes...what to do...what to do...

Old 12-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Pro Wrench

Do I pull the ABS Valve Fuse or ABS Pump Fuse? Both?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
Do I pull the ABS Valve Fuse or ABS Pump Fuse? Both?
Hang on to your hats, gentlemen, and into the breech again, lol

I would like to point out to pretty much everyone that this thread, while being somewhat contentious in nature, has produced 13 pages of quality dialog and helped at least three people directly, and most likely countless others indirectly. Lots of good info in here, and only the barest, tiniest bit of trolling thrown in just for grins. Isn't that what we are all here for? Plus it is fun, and entertaining I imagine as it has over 1000 views.

Good on us!

Old 12-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Winching

"Not picking on you personally, you just happen to be the most convenient. Take it with a grain of salt, just remember we are a forum community to help each other. It is all good info we share. I myself am debating as to whether I remove the functioning ABS in my '96 Disco. I like ABS for our steep hills covered in ice, but I don't want it to fail and lose brakes...what to do...what to do..."

HAH! Trust me, no offense taken. I have a very think skin. In order to get to my driveway I have to come up a block long "hill" of paved road. Our road is a dead end, so it's not kept up by the state. When we get freezing rain (which is quite often in the winter here) There is no way your coming up or going down it. Multiple times I have had to just park my other cars down on the hiway my property buts up to and walk the rest of the way. All my neighbors and myself just use my grass at that point. so, you better have a 4x4 to even think about it. The antilock features do not do squat in this situation. Other than let you slid. But in fairness your regular brakes become pretty worthless too. Ice is ice.

Living in North Dakota for 25+ years I had a little experience with ice and snow. I only owned 2 cars that had ABS while living up there, the other 70 + where power or manual brakes. I hated ABS from the first car I ever had it on.

Calebbo, your over thinking the whole "pumping" action of braking. Just brake normal. if you feel the tires start to slip let up a little repeat... very easy. Simple rules, never SLAM on your brakes... all that does is cause you to slide. Go out into an open parking lot with some rain on it, r better snow and try it. you'll see. and it will become second nature very quickly.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by geek_IM
Hang on to your hats, gentlemen, and into the breech again, lol

I would like to point out to pretty much everyone that this thread, while being somewhat contentious in nature, has produced 13 pages of quality dialog and helped at least three people directly, and most likely countless others indirectly. Lots of good info in here, and only the barest, tiniest bit of trolling thrown in just for grins. Isn't that what we are all here for? Plus it is fun, and entertaining I imagine as it has over 1000 views.

Good on us!
1/3rd the way to as many views as the "sticky" that's a lot of views...

Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Pro Wrench

All because we have ABS issues

So now... ABS Pump or Valve Fuse? haha

Old 12-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't mean buy another relay, I meant to swap it with another the some color on that tray...

Quick Reply: ABS = annoying..yeah