Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Can't pop hood...just embarrassing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
I finally got it. Had some help pulling the release while I yanked and wiggled...wait a second...I'm still talking about the hood I promise.

Anyways, apparently the spring was getting caught too as everything just wasn't lined up quite right, I will adjust everything tonight to get a nice straight hood line and release.

Case closed.
Seems like there's an epidemic of busted hood latches lately. Hood pins are always an option, too. I'm about at that point myself.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

pix please....

Old 03-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have any of you ever thought to check on the condition of these items BEFORE they become a problem. A little preventative maint can save you a world of trouble. Spray those damn cables. They are just a sheated cable, like used on bicycles and motorcycles clutches and such. If they do dry up and bind or even worse corrode, then you can and should expect trouble with them. PB Blaster or PB B Lube or WD40 or even white lithium can help a lot with that kind of stuff.

Also lub the lock linkages to keep them working good, a little spray right down beside the locking buttom will help it work smoothly and you do not even have to take anything apart. My 97 was built in 96, so it's all getting old and needs care.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Have any of you ever thought to check on the condition of these items BEFORE they become a problem. A little preventative maint can save you a world of trouble. Spray those damn cables. They are just a sheated cable, like used on bicycles and motorcycles clutches and such. If they do dry up and bind or even worse corrode, then you can and should expect trouble with them. PB Blaster or PB B Lube or WD40 or even white lithium can help a lot with that kind of stuff.

Also lub the lock linkages to keep them working good, a little spray right down beside the locking buttom will help it work smoothly and you do not even have to take anything apart. My 97 was built in 96, so it's all getting old and needs care.
Yes, my cables and locks are all lubed regularly, that wasn't the problem, but good advice nonetheless.

I switched hoods and got it stuck while adjusting the "new" hood to get it straight.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You mean our hoods are supposed to be straight?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I have heard of people rigging hand release cables just in case. We had to do something like that with my son's Honda, but his grill comes out easily.

Instead of a faux Saudi Grille, I have the American Redneck Version, it's two layers of expanded steel grid slightly offset with a small gap in between the two. Looks good, let's in more air, and won't dent if a large bug hits it like that gutter shield will.
I intend to add a hand release myself.

Post PIX of that "ARV" grille you got going...and a little more info on the material, where we could get it, etc. Otherwise you are just bashing my faux with your nose up and no intention of helping! lol
PS My gutter guard has held up fine to both highway bugs and off-roading...it's just a little too thin to get a great solid hold with epoxy all around.

Originally Posted by Spike555
You mean our hoods are supposed to be straight?
Whodda thunk? Though I must comment, it was straight when I got it stuck down...it was merely the fact that the post and spring were slightly at a different angle then where my original hood's post was.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...embarrassing is having your Rover roll down the hill and into the problem neighbors mitsubishi. or several other misadventures that i can recall.

i bought the hood release cable from AB but my mechanic said it didn't fit. i don't believe him.