Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

check engine light, cracked back window glass

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light, cracked back window glass

My Disco got hot, but did not boil over, but check engine light came on, however engine runs fine....Dam if California passed a law whereby autoparts stores no longer check codes. How do I just turn off the Check Engine Light??

Also, while in the garage for some unknown reason my back door glass has cracked out....not dents in glass....tint film keeping it all together.....anyone ever replaced that back window....I can get a used one for $125.00 Mark

Old 04-16-2011, 03:04 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't run it anymore until you read the codes. Buy yourself a cheap code reader. If you use it more than once it will pay for itself instead of a visit to the dealer to read and clear it. This is the one I have that is used with a laptop and works fine for resetting the CEL. It doesn't do everything but will read codes and reset the CEL.

AutoTap Express DIY OBDII Diagnostic Scan Tool

As far as doing the window it is very tedious and if there is rust around the channel the sealant and window sit in it could leak. If you clean it up really good and use the right stuff to install the glass and replace the rubber gasket that holds it in you should be all right. I did a windshield one time on an old Oldsmobile I had and it was really messy but I got it to work. Might be worth paying a glass place to do it with the glass you have. It will take them an hour whereas it will take you a lot longer and there are no garuntees.

Last edited by jbriggs; 04-16-2011 at 09:43 AM.