Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

D1 Brake Light Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:16 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D1 Brake Light Trouble

I had brake light issues when I bought my D1. Only 1 rear tail lamp would light up when the brakes were applied. The high-level (3rd) brake light always worked fine. I took the lamp assemblies out and found the plastic sockets around where the light bulb holders screwed in were starting to melt and one of them was tough to get out to check the bulb elements. I replaced the bulbs but soon both went out. I noticed more melting around the sockets. Guessing that these 2-element bulbs had been burning constantly due to a stuck plunger switch on the brake pedal (this has happened to me on another vehicle) I replaced the plunger switch. Now the brake lights still dont work. The third light works. The running amber lights work as does the back-up white lights, as do the turn lamps. I replaced one of the rear tail lamp assemblies (55 bucks on eBay) and it still doesnt light up.

I suspect the 3rd brake light is wired differently but the shop manual doesnt seem to have schematic for the 3rd brake, it just shows the two rear brake lights in the circuit.

Does anyone have more detailed info (more detailed that shop manual) on how these are wired through the body so I can check for rubs/grounds? Can anyone confirm how the 3rd brake light is wired? Is it on a circuit with something else in the rear?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you look in the RAVE at the electrical troubleshooting guide, which is separate from the workshop manual, there is a section on Stop lamps, "K". Info you want is on page 2 of that section, or you can search for "Centre Mounted Stop Lamp" - the King's English. Also has schematic, and location of connectors, splices, relays, etc.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:15 PM
TReK
Received 426 Likes on 357 Posts

First, I presume you are talking about the body mounted lights, not the bumper. If you have melting of the bulb holders, replace them first. They may be preventing ground. Use new bulbs also. Spend $10 first. If might be that simple.