Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Death Wobble @ 55 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also changed from my generic 265/75 M/S tires to 235/85 BFGs. For whatever reason, that has really reduced shimmy overall, they seem to track straighter. I may have had a bad wear pattern on the 265s from driving it with a wobble, or perhaps the extra width was setting off an oscillation. It wasn't just balancing either, because I had the old tires balanced regularly.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have fotos I would appreciate that. I know I have another problem in mine somewhere. Going to take another look tomorrow under mine.

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
I rebuilt the left front swivel ball housing - new bearings and races, new seals, new one-shot grease. The lower swivel pin bearing was shot, or rather I should say the race was. It was visibly out-of-round, oblong and lopsided. After that the shimmy was much faster but still there.

I found that the Panhard rod bushings were also loose. New bushings and new bolts took care of that and the wobble was 99% gone. The only hint of a wobble I ever get is around 70 MPH and it is very faint. I think I can blame my caster angle due to the lift for that, plus the short wheelbase exaggerates things at speed.

The only concern I have is that every few weeks the bolts on my panhard rod loosen up and it starts to clunk driving over bumps, gutters, rocks, etc. at low speeds. When I tighten it up, that all goes away. I'm going to put a locking washer under the nyloc nuts I used and perhaps they will hold better.

Sorry I forgot about this thread, I can post pics later this week if you need me to.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
My visits from the Death Wobble were not dampened in any way, the PO had removed the steering damper! Did four rod ends, wheel bearings, a sticking caliper, greased swivels (converted from oil), and popped on a damper after other items were running smooth.
rod ends? The panhard rods bushes?
Thanks

Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Four ball joints on the ends of various rods. Didn't have to do the bushes, but may well have missed that. Am suspicious that Death Wobble (oscillation) can be caused by having one thing wrong, or a combination of other multiple things.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:27 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
I rebuilt the left front swivel ball housing - new bearings and races, new seals, new one-shot grease. The lower swivel pin bearing was shot, or rather I should say the race was. It was visibly out-of-round, oblong and lopsided. After that the shimmy was much faster but still there.
You should really do the right swivel too. If the left one was that bad then the right one is definitely worn as well. Perhaps not as bad, but still needs doing.

The only concern I have is that every few weeks the bolts on my panhard rod loosen up and it starts to clunk driving over bumps, gutters, rocks, etc. at low speeds. When I tighten it up, that all goes away. I'm going to put a locking washer under the nyloc nuts I used and perhaps they will hold better.
A split washer may help for a while, but in that application not the right solution. It sounds like just crappy nylocks. Where did you get them?
I generally use toplock self-locking nuts (they are all metal but have a distortion that holds them in place). They work well and are reusable 3 or 4 times.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by antichrist
You should really do the right swivel too. If the left one was that bad then the right one is definitely worn as well. Perhaps not as bad, but still needs doing.

A split washer may help for a while, but in that application not the right solution. It sounds like just crappy nylocks. Where did you get them?
I generally use toplock self-locking nuts (they are all metal but have a distortion that holds them in place). They work well and are reusable 3 or 4 times.
I got the nylocs at Ace hardware. Yes I will do the right swivel eventually. Right now I am maintaining four vehicles, the Rover is in the best shape of any of them. And I've only put 2,000 miles on it in the last 6 months. Thanks for the tip on toplock nuts, I'll have to look for those.