Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco 1 won't move in gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Engine running with trans in neutral?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:50 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
Engine running with trans in neutral?
Negative, Tom...the truck was not running; I only unlocked the column and put the trans shifter in neutral. Should I try it running?

Rob

Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

I'd try it in as many different ways as possible. Running in neutral and in gear, not running in gear and in neutral, try rocking the truck back and forth while trying to move the lever.... Could be something is just jammed and needs to be popped loose.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Three Wheeling

Did you ever get around to checking the fluid level in the transfer case? Just a few days ago my rig decided it didnt wanna drive and low and behold my tcase had decided to run damn near dry. I pulled the drain plug and inspection plate to make sure it wasnt burned up. Resealed, refilled. Drives like a champ again.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fishEH
I'd try it in as many different ways as possible. Running in neutral and in gear, not running in gear and in neutral, try rocking the truck back and forth while trying to move the lever.... Could be something is just jammed and needs to be popped loose.
I'll give that a shot, fish...I even considered using a padded wrench to jiggle/turn the TC/front differential driveshaft.

Originally Posted by Matt_Attack352
Did you ever get around to checking the fluid level in the transfer case? Just a few days ago my rig decided it didnt wanna drive and low and behold my tcase had decided to run damn near dry. I pulled the drain plug and inspection plate to make sure it wasnt burned up. Resealed, refilled. Drives like a champ again.
Negative, Matt, as I was dodging thunderstorms all weekend, but I'll definitely give it a check.

Rob

Old 01-20-2014, 04:29 PM
Drifting

Here's an update...I pulled the fill and drain plug on the TC, and only about 3 tablespoons of gear oil came out. I checked it for metal, and it seems to be okay, but there's absolutely NO oil in that case.

I'm assuming that might be the problem....at any rate, I need to refill it, so it's off to the auto parts store for some gear oil and a pump.

I'll let you know what happens.

Rob

Old 01-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Baja

Last guy with same problem also ran the case dry, he got lucky removed the inspection cover gears were ok , added oil and still works

I would pull that cover and look at the gears before wasting good oil

Use "the right stuff" rtv for the gasket after spraying it clean with brake spray

Old 01-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by TOM R
Last guy with same problem also ran the case dry, he got lucky removed the inspection cover gears were ok , added oil and still works

I would pull that cover and look at the gears before wasting good oil

Use "the right stuff" rtv for the gasket after spraying it clean with brake spray
As TOM said, me being the last guy, hope you're gears aren't fried. I got lucky that it decided to not want toove while I was in front of my house. Just get some RTV and brake cleaner. Clean the surfaces and stuff. Easy cheesy. Buy a gallon jug of gear oil and a hand pump. Most auto parts stores have them. If autozone has it, a decent store will too. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:13 PM
Drifting

Guys,

I just got back and put two quarts of gear lube in it, before I saw your posts....should it take a gallon of oil to fill it? It sure seems like 2 quarts aren't enough, although I picked that number up on another post here somewhere....

Also, because I didn't check-in until now, I also didn't pull the cover to check for damage; before I add more oil, would it be wise to do that first?

And if so, and I find any metal bits, will the transfer case be effectively D.O.A.?

Rob

Old 01-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Baja

Look for chipped tooth, blue discoloring , teeth pointed on ends, cupping of teeth

If you drained it and got no metal don't think you will find any in the case unless it is sludged up inside

Think I would try it out since you already added the oil

Quick Reply: Disco 1 won't move in gear