Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery eletrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And for what it is worth, my 97 would not "re-learn" a new IACV, and I swapped the ECU with one from the junkyard, and have been driving for over a year, don't believe any re-sync is needed with the Lucas alarm module. Now on a D2 that is a different matter. And maybe I'm just lucky.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
And for what it is worth, my 97 would not "re-learn" a new IACV, and I swapped the ECU with one from the junkyard, and have been driving for over a year, don't believe any re-sync is needed with the Lucas alarm module. Now on a D2 that is a different matter. And maybe I'm just lucky.

I have seen write-ups from some saying that a mismatch is a problem and some who had no problem. LR made so many "on the fly changes" it may be according to VIN or some other flakey reason.

I bet our new member from Wales (Gramme) could give some detailed guidance.

The main point I was stressing was did they read any codes and how did they determine what to change?

Enny, Meanie, minnie, mo? Which a way should I go? Throw darts, draw staws, 'or whatever Bubba came up with? Or maybe what was in inventory? Did the owner still have to pay for all the guess work and un-needed parts and extra labor and more incorrect guesses??

Damn did I really say that?

Old 07-19-2012, 07:11 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we hope to fix the LR too, its giving us too much stress. Right now we are waiting for another properly working ECM to come in since the other one we ordered isnt worth its weight in metal.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Hopefully the AS10 isn't in lockout mode or no start again with new ECM.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:14 PM

Why not reinstall thye original ECM and see if that restores it to just the original problem?

Every new "shot in the dark" changeout introduces additional variables and can send a simple fault isolation effort into a ever ending fiasco. Especially if the alarm system has been set off.

How long you been doing imports only? Not much Land Rover Expertisse I would venture to say.

You did not answer if you read any codes to begin with or what you did to identify the potential cause or why you changed out what you did.

They are called Discovery because everything yopu start to do leads to another "Discovery", especially if they have not been properly maintained in the past and they may have multiple contributors to begin with.

The flash rate of the dash mounted alarm red light will also tell you a lot!

You can get the matching alarm ecu to go along with the replacement ECM.

What is the available budget? Deep pockets I hope.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Is Hollywood's Midnight Repair shop still in business there in Warner Robbins?

He fixed my Grand Am one weekend when it crapped out on us on I-75 on our way back to Florida from Pittsburgh.

My hometown is up 19-41 from you. Griffin Georgia Redneck here.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:48 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Why not reinstall thye original ECM and see if that restores it to just the original problem?

Every new "shot in the dark" changeout introduces additional variables and can send a simple fault isolation effort into a ever ending fiasco. Especially if the alarm system has been set off.

How long you been doing imports only? Not much Land Rover Expertisse I would venture to say.

You did not answer if you read any codes to begin with or what you did to identify the potential cause or why you changed out what you did.

They are called Discovery because everything yopu start to do leads to another "Discovery", especially if they have not been properly maintained in the past and they may have multiple contributors to begin with.

The flash rate of the dash mounted alarm red light will also tell you a lot!

You can get the matching alarm ecu to go along with the replacement ECM.

What is the available budget? Deep pockets I hope.

Is Hollywood's Midnight Repair shop still in business there in Warner Robbins?

He fixed my Grand Am one weekend when it crapped out on us on I-75 on our way back to Florida from Pittsburgh.

My hometown is up 19-41 from you. Griffin Georgia Redneck here.
we are still trying to figure out how to override security to get the engine cranked. the old ECM does not work now, it ends up with same results as the new one. alarm sounds more often when door is opened.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:51 AM

Since the security system kills both spark and fuel injection, thaqt may be quite difficult undertaking. Let us know if you do manage to do that. Some of the English Blokes have gone into great detail on doing that.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:52 AM

You might try to get a matched pair of ECM and Alarm ECM or try a landrover dealer cause you need their proprietary software I think.

They can "reflash" the ECM for you usually around a hundred bucks or so at most dealerships.