Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Front Cover....where did this washer come from????

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front Cover....where did this washer come from????

Okay, I am in the process of replacing the front cover gasket. When I removed the assembly, I put it aside with the bolts in the holes. In the process of doing that, I accidentally dropped a few bolts and the thick washer (the one in the picture).

I looked through the RAVE and didn;t find any reference to it.

Does this washer mount with the camshaft sensor bracket? It looks like it does.....frick.....

Thanks in advance....

Attached Thumbnails Front Cover....where did this washer come from????-photo-5-.jpg  
Old 11-10-2011, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

would PM Boris_gti, he just replaced his several times... has a post on it with what he thought was a crack...

Old 11-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Maybe it's extra.

I know that the oil pressure switch has an o-ring if you install it on a serpentine belt engine (like our discos or the 95 rrc) but it has a washer if you install it on a v-belt engine. Maybe someone dropped it when replacing the oil pressure sender.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
would PM Boris_gti, he just replaced his several times... has a post on it with what he thought was a crack...
I do recall his posts....let me PM him....

Originally Posted by jafir
Maybe it's extra.

I know that the oil pressure switch has an o-ring if you install it on a serpentine belt engine (like our discos or the 95 rrc) but it has a washer if you install it on a v-belt engine. Maybe someone dropped it when replacing the oil pressure sender.
It is too small for the switch. The ID for the washer is the same as the OD of one of the bolts.....

Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only 2 places that I am fully aware that washers like this are presend around and in the timing cover:
1. Under 3 nuts that hold the oil pan to the engine cover. Bolted under the timing cover for M8 bolts.
2. M6 or M5 hex bolt that holds the oil pump cover on the inside of the "front engine cover". You got few philips bolts and one hex head bolt. Original cover and oil pump do not have this washer. It only comes with the replacement cover. I removed my washer since I didn't trust it that it will not create problems. I used the bolt from the original cover.

That's it. Check the size of the washer and see if it most likely came from the 3 M8 bolts that hold the oil pan to the cover or maybe that M6/M5 bolt that holds the oil pump plate on the inside.

There is no washer under the cam sprocket bolt!

It could be that someone dropped the washer in somewhere from the top of the engine long time ago and the washer ended up in the front engine cover.

See images attached.
Hope this helps.

P.S. DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THE BEER BOTTLES IN THE FIRST PICTURE. IT'S NOT MINE LOL!

Attached Thumbnails Front Cover....where did this washer come from????-engine_cover.jpg   Front Cover....where did this washer come from????-cam-image.jpg  
Old 11-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boris -
We knew those were not your beers - they weren't Blue!

Old 11-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groundandpound
Boris -
We knew those were not your beers - they weren't Blue!
Hahahaha

Anyways....I was thinking about this last night again. It also could be that the washer was dropped from one of the M6 bolts that hold the cover on as well.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Boris...thanks for the help.

I could not find where it goes. All the bolts depths are in good and not need for it. It must have been sitting in there all this time....????

I while cleaning all the bolts to the sump, I also found ONE bolt that is longer and I am missing all but two bolts for the bottom of the transmission bell housing cover...

Humm........from looking over the internals, the top looks like it has been service...I guess that is a postitive from all this....

Old 11-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember any washers when I did my front cover and oil pump replacement.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I found where it goes....for the sump cover. The longer bolt and washer mount the bracket for the tranny cooler. Problem solved!

Thanks again all for the help!