Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

LED brake lamp w/ built in load resistor part #

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 01:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default LED brake lamp w/ built in load resistor part #

I installed LED brake lamps and now my cruise control no longer works. Does anyone know of an LED bulb that has a built in load resistor I can just plug in.
(I promise I've searched)
I really don't want to wire-in a resistor if I can help it.
TIA,
Don

Old 09-30-2022, 04:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 199 Posts

I suspect something else happened coincidentally, because the LED load resistor is only so the turn signal flasher works right (neither of my Discos needed a resistor, by the way). Did you check the vacuum valve device on the brake pedal (mine broke recently, one of the hooks snapped off)?

CC has a lot of things that can go wrong (Module board soldering faults are very common, steering wheel buttons, RR wheel sensor, vacuum system components, and brake switch). My Set/Accel button recently stopped working in the middle of a drive. I need to get in there with a multimeter at the module. I have the CC wiring diagram in my notebook (somewhere).

Old 10-03-2022, 01:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

JohnZo,
Thanks for replying. I did check all the vacuum hoses, etc. No Joy. I have read on this forum and others that the LED's have a lower resistance and it throws the CC module off as it is looking for a certain resistance and when it doesn't see it, it assumes you have your foot on the brake, thus kicking it out or not allowing CC.
Thanks,
Don

Old 10-03-2022, 08:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 199 Posts

Just to a look at the 96 wiring diagram. All the logic is 12 V or ground, with no interface with the actual brake light bulbs. There are three input signals related to the brake pedal, and the switches can be mis-adjusted. Do you have access to the ETM and wiring diagrams?

If it was attached to the bulbs, wouldn't it fail if a bulb burned out? By the way, LEDs present a higher equivalent resistance, not lower. They draw lower amps. That is why they burn less wattage. Wiring in a resistor (in parallel) is to pull more amps so the flasher burnout detection gets tricked. I'll take a look at the 97 diagram and let you know if it's different than the 96.