Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Painting next week.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Slang, rhino liner used to have a rep for fading but over the years rhino and line x have developed UV protectants that retard fade. Quite a few guys in the Jeep community line their entire vehicle inside and out. My wife's P/U truck bed was lined 3 years ago and hasn't faded a bit. Trick is using one of the two name brands. If you go off brand or DIY then it will fade.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so we cant get a small roll with a width that covers the roof..is that what you're saying? 48 is close huh. i'm gonna go check. the other and really better (harder) option is the rustoleum roof. more or less lighten the paint and wet sand in between. The flat black would probably spray nice too or we are back to your methods involving intoxicants and aerosols. i've been spraying my hardware and grill in stove pipe paint and it looks great. well see how it performs.

good news on the herculiner. actually it's kind of glossy right with flecks? a fade might be no biggie anyway would probably better match my faded truck. the performance is good tho i hear. thats what im going for.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Pro Wrench

no way. it's more like 72" by 92" from rail to rail (and windscreen.). that's too expensive. if the truck was new maybe. and i dunno about a split down the center of the roof. says peel to me with this sun and rain. back to rustoleum.

can you see the finish in my photos? probably not really.

Attached Thumbnails Painting next week.-grille.jpg   Painting next week.-grill2.jpg  

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 10-07-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

yeah, i was just spitballin, i knoew the roof would be too wide, but it's the only panel thats even remotely that wide. Thats why iw as thinking we could get away with a 48" roll, course, the thing that got this whole thing rollling was the photo ed posted of the rover but that one only had it's front fenders done and it looked sick as hell. Maybe we'd just start there......
I dont know why im even talking about this....i just bought new (to me) tires.....i have a problem, and it's brians fault

Old 10-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Pro Wrench

yea brian always messes me up. i thought 48 was reasonable too. the black vinyl thing i think is for hot cars..and new rangies. the merc i saw here was hot. as great as my truck is she surely isnt gonna be a hot car. tires soon. unfortunately i think $1200 from tire rack shipped.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

GOOO! for five? thats not terrible honestly. What are you getting

Old 10-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Pro Wrench

i think....respectable 245/75/16 AT's or MT's/ I like the Destination MT also.

best i could do is $725 plus $380. MT'S more. for four. I'm really going to try and find them cheaper locally and/or be a little flexible on size and make.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

thats def what you should do. even find a four wheel shop or something that has reg tire shipments. I also saw on some 4x4 website that tires under 35x13.5 ship for like 50$ but for tires that size they could have meant per tire. Honestly since you're not going too aggressive (even though i like the destination mt's) i'd shop around and see where you could save the most on shipping and settle on the specific brand. Thats near $400. find someone that can have you something in store.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you looked at just doing some light prep work and rolling the truck to your local paint shop to have some guys spray it over the weekend/under the table?

i pulled the alpine windows and roof rack off my truck a few weeks ago and dropped it by a neighbor's shop that does paint work, and they sanded/fixed some rust/colormatched and repainted the entire roof for $200... this might be worth looking into considering the cost of rhinolining...
just an idea!

Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
have you looked at just doing some light prep work and rolling the truck to your local paint shop to have some guys spray it over the weekend/under the table?

i pulled the alpine windows and roof rack off my truck a few weeks ago and dropped it by a neighbor's shop that does paint work, and they sanded/fixed some rust/colormatched and repainted the entire roof for $200... this might be worth looking into considering the cost of rhinolining...
just an idea!
Um WOW. Unfortunately I don't know any painters. But then I alway

Quick Reply: Painting next week.