Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Painting next week.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
have you looked at just doing some light prep work and rolling the truck to your local paint shop to have some guys spray it over the weekend/under the table?

i pulled the alpine windows and roof rack off my truck a few weeks ago and dropped it by a neighbor's shop that does paint work, and they sanded/fixed some rust/colormatched and repainted the entire roof for $200... this might be worth looking into considering the cost of rhinolining...
just an idea!
Um WOW that's a hell of a deal. Unfortunately I don't know any painters. But then I always look at the cost of something and ask myself how much the tools would cost to do it. For 200 bucks I could buy a decent gun, have another 100 to spray some half decent enamel and I get to keep the gun for other projects.

Guess I'm just stubborn.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the real deal with getting a good price from painters is getting your vehicle in behind someone paying full price...same color, no clean out. Limits colors unless your guy is gonna call you when the right color is getting done. and do prep work like you say.

I don't want to do the whole truck. Roof and scoop. Flat Black which is as much two tone as I want for this vehicle. It is what it is too. Going to fancy or expensive will throw the west of the look out of wack. I saw the rustoleum threads (have you seen them?), the results are excellent. The question is really how many coats (with wet sand) would I have to do to have good results. Would I venture to spray or just roll on? I also need to do some rustwork, a little bondo around the alpines perhaps. I'll do a good compound plus on the sides and hood (where the scoop aint). I'm kinda waiting on doing this work before I fix up bumpers, plastics and replace the grille. Looks rough now but I can drive her right up the mountain.

Good new is the engine is roaring, the cooling system is cooling, the suspension and steering run high and tight. I might have a problem with the propshaft and/or differential but we'll dive into that this week.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JamesDisco97
Um WOW that's a hell of a deal. Unfortunately I don't know any painters. But then I always look at the cost of something and ask myself how much the tools would cost to do it. For 200 bucks I could buy a decent gun, have another 100 to spray some half decent enamel and I get to keep the gun for other projects.

Guess I'm just stubborn.

its funny you mention that, i did the same equation, and thought... for me spending nearly $200 on materials, and it would come out looking 1/3 as nice. i then happily paid what they were asking. and the roof matches great

Old 10-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Pro Wrench

i'll most likely have the D2 roof painted pro. I'm going to compound the hell out of it first to see what kinda results I get. the truck is budweiser brown colored. normally, i'd go black but being here i'm thinking about white......never thought id say that.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:49 PM
4wd Low

I know this reply is a little late, but I like your thinking!

Old 10-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Pro Wrench

i want to know more about this wet sanding. what about the clear coat...whats the procedure? is it better than compound? any pointers?

Old 10-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Mudding

So - it's been almost a month since this was started. Progress?

I always thought a fresh coat of mud looked better than paint any day of the week...

Old 10-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i flat blacked my hood today. cost about $7 cuz i used 2000 degree paint...

Old 10-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Pro Wrench

wow...looks mean. i love the color. i think you need another couple coats tho...

Old 10-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Mudding

Progress........ Well yes and no. I took the money and bought some 235/85/16 destination mt that im waiting to be delivered, ripped out my interior and redid it in black and tan and removed the rear seats to install a 1/4 diamond plate rubber mat on the whole floor.

So no paint. Someone convinced me to stop worrying about looks and get to functional. Maybe after the winter ill get back to it. It's getting cold here. In the mean time I'm excited to head to ROTR!

Quick Reply: Painting next week.