Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

proper method to splice power

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by latarheel
I have some side marker lights on a rear bumber end cap that were pulled off to bare wires and I am splicing a bulb holder wiring harness back in. Can I get the heat shrink and crimp connectors at Autozone or NAPA ? AB charges ~ $40 for a bulb harness so there has to be a cheaper alternative. Any suggestions are welcome
Yes, I'm wandering the same thing. Can someone help us out?

Old 01-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have worked on a multitude of electrical systems from Navy aircraft, TomaHawk Cruise Missiles, MX Missile, Space Shuttle flight hardware and a varieety of other things including Wastewater Treatment Plants, Atomic Reactors, and cotton mills as well as gigantic Amusement Parks. And also have been certified to NASA Soldering Specifications for Flight Hardware.

You could do anything from just forming loops in the wires and bolting them together with a nut and bolt insulated with good tape or a variety of other nonconductive materials.

You could use a good solid uninsulated butt splice and insulate it.

Or you could do a good solder job. Any solder job is supposed to have a firm mechanical connection and not depend upon the solder to keep it joined. The solder is just to improve electrical conductivity as a solid conductor.

Most modern connections are crimp type going to a fixed terminal board or strip. This ensures both mechganical and electrical connection is maintained.

It really depends on what you have available.