Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amsandunn
Replaced my headlight washer jets and the back window washer. Now my rear wiper isn't working. Can't win. Tomorrow rebuilding my front propshaft. Wish me luck lol.
Try the rear wiper again while driving I have no idea why, but mine often doesn't work in the driveway but works fine under way..

Good luck

Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesterdays efforts were less than I had hoped. I received a GEMS 8 ECU and opened it up to examine it. Some of it I could identify, but some I could find nothing on. In particular there's a Texas Instruments engine controller IC that seems to have been used by a lot of manufacturers, but there is absolutely no data on it on the web. I'm not the only one asking either. That will make this a bit more difficult.

What's strange is that you'll find any number of programming systems on Ebay claiming that they can do ECUs and cover the processor I'm looking for information on.

Since we also had a combination warm weather and torrential rain, I figured I could see if and where water gets into my truck. It's parked on an incline, and the headliner is out (and ruined, but I've got material for that). I've been suspicious of the fact the the sunroofs only have drains in the front.

Surprise! The sunroofs are spilling over at the back!. I'll be pulling those out and adding drains so that they're on all 4 corners.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And they used I think four different processors over the production range of the GEMS system.. You might enjoy How to Power Tune Rover V8 Engines for Road & Track - Des Hammill - Google Books about page 184.

One interesting note was that the high speed limit was invoked because the vehicles just were not stable above that VSS driven limit. And that GEMS units can be used in race cars with alarm feature disabled.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-31-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by gprtech
Surprise! The sunroofs are spilling over at the back!. I'll be pulling those out and adding drains so that they're on all 4 corners.
Or park facing the other way.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gprtech
Yesterdays efforts were less than I had hoped. I received a GEMS 8 ECU and opened it up to examine it. Some of it I could identify, but some I could find nothing on. In particular there's a Texas Instruments engine controller IC that seems to have been used by a lot of manufacturers, but there is absolutely no data on it on the web. I'm not the only one asking either. That will make this a bit more difficult.

What's strange is that you'll find any number of programming systems on Ebay claiming that they can do ECUs and cover the processor I'm looking for information on.

Since we also had a combination warm weather and torrential rain, I figured I could see if and where water gets into my truck. It's parked on an incline, and the headliner is out (and ruined, but I've got material for that). I've been suspicious of the fact the the sunroofs only have drains in the front.

I'm very interested in what you are looking into and watching closely. Keep up the good work. Have you tried removing the alarm yet?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Drifting

Well I finally decided today would be the day I would change my front driveshafts ujoints. Within an hour I had removed my running board (seperate desire) and had the shaft off as well as the fwd joint removed. Man, this was going great. Press I. The first new cup and smooth sailing. I had started to think I would be home drinking a beer before long. In goes second cup. Well not really it fought me over and over. As I gently pumped the press a loud bang and the cup was about 1/4 down. Great I thought it started to seat. Nope cracked my flange that's when I started cursing loudly as ideas to repair began filling my head. I know a local junkyard has a single d1 and I could just rebuild that shaft for cheap but why not upgrade right. Thanks to Justin at Lucky8 I will spend my Monday afternoon installing my new Tom Woods D.C. Drive shaft. I guess my tires will go on hold for a while.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TomOwen
Try the rear wiper again while driving I have no idea why, but mine often doesn't work in the driveway but works fine under way..

Good luck
You were absolutely correct. It worked fine today while driving. Now I just need to aim the jets so water actually hits the window.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric, I've got a limited time to do the work, since the truck is outside, it's cold, dark when I get home, and usually wet or snowy.

I've got a theft alarm on my workbench, that when I get a chance, I'm got to trigger so it outputs the "enable" signal to the ECU. Once I get that, Im going to make a small microcontroller board that will read the code on my truck when it sends out the signal, memorize it, and then send it out whenever the ignition key is turned on. It would essentially be a "dumb" theft alarm unit.

I've pretty much got every module that thee was for a 1997 Disco in my shop except for the cruise control. That's really low on my list of things to check.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amsandunn
Well I finally decided today would be the day I would change my front driveshafts ujoints. Within an hour I had removed my running board (seperate desire) and had the shaft off as well as the fwd joint removed. Man, this was going great. Press I. The first new cup and smooth sailing. I had started to think I would be home drinking a beer before long. In goes second cup. Well not really it fought me over and over. As I gently pumped the press a loud bang and the cup was about 1/4 down. Great I thought it started to seat. Nope cracked my flange that's when I started cursing loudly as ideas to repair began filling my head. I know a local junkyard has a single d1 and I could just rebuild that shaft for cheap but why not upgrade right. Thanks to Justin at Lucky8 I will spend my Monday afternoon installing my new Tom Woods D.C. Drive shaft. I guess my tires will go on hold for a while.
The trickiest part is seating the cup square. I used a press to remove mine and a small 6oz or so ball peen hammer and punch to install them. Worked like a champ

Old 02-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CUpgt
The trickiest part is seating the cup square. I used a press to remove mine and a small 6oz or so ball peen hammer and punch to install them. Worked like a champ
Now I am afraid of doing the rear. No way the wife would by off on another tw shaft.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?