Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[Quote)

Popped out the old bushings in my extra panhard rod. Will pop in the new ones when they get here and swap rods out on my '97. That should fix the death wobble.
Hi
Following the thread on "extra" Panhard rod.
I needed to remove my extra panhard rod due to difficulty on left turn. The rod stuck against the head of the longer bolt holding the the two panhard rods.
About the death wobble, ja it is worse but I claimed it on worn Coil springs and shocks.
The question is: is two panhard rods needed and how do I overcome the limited left turn.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
The stock set in the pic are my spares.
Nope, not Ashcrofts. I've been sworn to secrecy on the make but it is a reputable company and should be a new option assuming these pan out and fit well.
If not the make, who sells them?

Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
If not the make, who sells them?
Patience, Grasshopper. I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. Or I'd be killed. One or the other for sure, LOL.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Hercu
[Quote)

Popped out the old bushings in my extra panhard rod. Will pop in the new ones when they get here and swap rods out on my '97. That should fix the death wobble.
Hi
Following the thread on "extra" Panhard rod.
I needed to remove my extra panhard rod due to difficulty on left turn. The rod stuck against the head of the longer bolt holding the the two panhard rods.
About the death wobble, ja it is worse but I claimed it on worn Coil springs and shocks.
The question is: is two panhard rods needed and how do I overcome the limited left turn.
I think we're losing something in translation here. When I said "extra" I was referring to the spare panhard rod I had laying in my garage floor from my parts truck. The Discovery doesn't have any "extra/unnecessary" components.

For your limited left turn I'd check the steering stop located on the right side knuckle. Or your drop arm could be out of adjustment in relation to the steering box.

Coil springs won't cause death wobble.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Name:  2F286098-C1CC-4731-9719-B797789065A2-1198-00000091D7F8BC79_zpsd5d2369b.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  69.5 KB
Name:  7519A649-9D19-41ED-8E96-3272249F12C2-1198-00000091DE435F64_zps98c339f7.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  43.7 KB

Truck at the shop. While troubleshooting my mechanic found water ingress into the ECU. No puddle jumping, just driving and parking in the rain. Awesome.

And my head gaskets are leaking. Awesome.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think I worked out my strange coolant loss problem on the 94. Going to drive it the rest of the week and monitor the coolant level but so far so good. Going to get my junk yard find radiator pressure tested and rodded out tomorrow and if all pans out with the 94 I'll be doing a cap, rotor, wires, plugs, 180* t-stat, swapping in the fresh radiator and doing a full fluid change after I pull the rear diff and swap it into the 98. Then I'll have to face the the disappointing fact that I'll have to sell it Boss won't let me keep two around.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finished routing the new drain arrangement on the sunroofs.

Originally they only have drains at the front. The front sunroof drains go down along the sides of the windshield. The rear sunroof drains go to the sides of the roof and then back to the sides of the cargo door.

WHen the truck sits level, this arrangement works. If the truck tilts forward, the front drains work but the back doesn't. If the truck tilts backwards, neither set works. The back can't work because it needs to run out the front (forward) and then run out the back (backwards). Don't know what they were thinking.

I added drains on the back of each sunroof drip tray. Now the front ones on the front roof still go to the sides of the windshield.

The new rear ones on the rear sunroof go to the sides of the cargo door.

The new rear ones on the front and the front ones on the rear are routed to the sides, join together and then run down through the pillar behind the rear passenger doors and out into the wheel wells.

Now water can drain under all circumstances. Still need to seal around the drip trays, since wind will move the water along the underside of the roof.

Also played a bit with my new HawkEye. Pretty cool. The ECU had lots of old codes even though the check engijne light was out and the engine runs fine. They all erased but since the truck isn't registered and I can't drive it, I don't know if they'll come back.

The ABS stuff is really weird. Everything seems to be bad. I couldn't even turn off the indicator lamp, even though I could hear the relay click when I tried.

More interesting things to poke at. Still waiting for the adapters for the Theft alarm and Air bags systems.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by fishEH
I think we're losing something in translation here. When I said "extra" I was referring to the spare panhard rod I had laying in my garage floor from my parts truck. The Discovery doesn't have any "extra/unnecessary" components.

For your limited left turn I'd check the steering stop located on the right side knuckle. Or your drop arm could be out of adjustment in relation to the steering box.

Coil springs won't cause death wobble.
Hi fish
Thank you, thought it was unnecessary when I bought it three years ago.
Removed it when I did the 3rd Diff last year.
The Wobble??? Might be panhard bushes. Will have a good look this weekend.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Drifting

Parked her out on the street last week, five different days.
Looks like the steering pump has sprung a leak.

EDIt: was the transmission cooler line

Name:  april2013oilleaks_zpsab32e9ee.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  123.9 KB

Last edited by Royal; 07-25-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Royal
Parked her out on the street last week, five different days.
Looks like the steering pump has sprung a leak.
Looks like it might have shook it a little bit at the blue circle.

Attached Thumbnails So what did you do to your Disco today?-april2013oilleaks_zpsab32e9ee.jpg  

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?