Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 03:50 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced my sloppy original steering dampner with an OME dampner, mostly better now

Old 06-09-2013, 03:58 PM
3rd Gear
Default What I did with mine today

Just joined the Group today. My Red 98 Disco is 700 miles from me and I am missing it. Although I have to say that I just purchased a 1970 Series III 109 last week and am waiting on the delivery truck to bring it to me. It is a driver but will need some TLC and a lot of fun stuff added.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Overlanding

Started installing a cb radio, but the bottom fell out so im gonna finish up tomorrow.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Took the rest of the interior out to see what kind of work I have to do. Boy do I have alot of work ahead of me. Luckily I just purchased a Welder a the HF tent sale

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96646906@N03/9003110868/

Old 06-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally started the cooling system work. Didn't get too far though as the fan clutch has thwarted me for the first time ever (dealt with many a fan clutch over the years). I'm doing the rad, couple hoses, tstat, water pump. My truck always runs cold and it came from AZ so I suspected it may have had the tstat removed at some point for whatever reason. Turns out the tstat was not seated properly allowing a bypass, so to speak, all the time. Looks like whoever messed with this either did it on purpose or didn't understand basic repairs as it was all gooped up with RTV...I'm sure it was leaking though it generally seemed pretty dry for me.

Anyway, got that out, cleaned up the mating surfaces, installed new tstat. Back to the fan clutch.......tried numerous times to get the clutch off, not coming off really. I did not have a 36mm wrench so ended up using an adjustable wrench which makes it more difficult, the fan clutches I've always worked on are 32mm so I have a couple wrenches specifically for those.

Since I'm not planning on reusing it I figured I'd go ahead and just remove the water pump with fan and all attached. Got all the bolts undone but the one long one on the pass side inteferes with the pulley and to make it a real problem, the system cannot be pulled out far enough to get the pump out with the clutch attached. Grrrr.....so I'll take the rad and pump assembly out all at once. Ran short on time though since it took a helluva long time to get the pump bolts out with all that crap in the way.

More tonite, assuming it's not downpouring on me.

Oh, almost forgot, during my work I noticed some very worn steering parts that I somehow failed see any other time I've been underneath. Front steering rod is shot (ball joints) and the rear is not far behind. This sucks because I'm not sure I'm going to have enough time to deal with these before we leave for vacation. If I can't I won't be able to take the Rover. More Grrrrr......

Cheers.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Three Wheeling

So I decided to peel all the crappy now purple tint. Left the truck in the hot sun all day. And it just peeled off. About an hour of scrapping. The glue with a plastic scraper and some winded. Windows all clean a new looking. Looks nicer now. Maybe I'll have new tint installed one day.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New rotors, pads, rebuilt calipers, ran new brake lines, replaced flex hoses with SS. Still need to bleed the system.

The whole mess looked like the previous owners liked to drive through the ocean. Rotors & brake lines had just dissolved.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Mudding

RE: Sam95Disco
How much lift did you get:

The wheel arch highest point is 37".
With the first owners lift 2" and the Terrafirma 2"+ lift it seems that I have got at least 4 and half inch.

Now just need the 33" Tyres

Attached Thumbnails So what did you do to your Disco today?-lift-hights-002.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-lift-hights-004.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-completed-lift.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hercu

With the first owners lift 2" and the Terrafirma 2"+ lift it seems that I have got at least 4 and half inch.

I didn't realize that you had 2" spacers on that truck as well. I was a little mind blown that it sat that high with just a TF HD kit. Makes sense now. You def need 33s! And then probably some 4.11 gears. (3.54s are tolerable though)
Name:  photobucket-195445-1370964507690_zpsfb0f6ac3.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  99.9 KB

Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Hercu

Whoa! I didn't realize you had 2" spacers AND lift coils. That's gonna jack up your geometry big time! Your front driveshaft is going to be all tweaked.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?