Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed a 180° thermostat. Was getting some higher temps at idle in traffic on the way home, all in the 95°F weather.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Mudding

[QUOTE=CUpgt;403309]I didn't realize that you had 2" spacers on that truck as well. I was a little mind blown that it sat that high with just a TF HD kit. Makes sense now. You def need 33s! And then probably some 4.11 gears. (3.54s are tolerable though)
Now thats a good example of a good balanced lift Thanks for sharing.
If you started to fool around with this mods it never ends: Tyres, double jointed propshafts, 4.11 gears, stepping plates, etc, etc, etc. Our toys did not just became bigger but more expensive as well.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Hercu
Very nice lift on your truck and the tyres balanced it all out well! Really very nice
Already had geometry problems on instillation. The front propshaft knuckels knocked and needed to grind away quite a lot. This means it is weakened more.
But us boys with this toys just saw another solution: Terrafirma's double knuckle drive shaft seems to be the answer and I am eagerly awaiting the Quote.
Yeah I wouldn't reccomend grinding the flanges.
Not sure what you're angles are like, you may need a single DC or maybe even a double DC. A guy has a double DC for sale here, not sure what shipping would be like though.
DC-DC HD Front Driveshaft - Defender Source

Also, what are you're plan's for tires? Depending on tire size you may find that the 2" spacers are totally unnecessary .

Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 PM
3rd Gear

Toyfare just an FYI mine disco was doing the same thing and it turned out that the airconditioning was overcharged. I know it sounds strange but the electric fans could not keep up when I sat in traffic, I had changed the stat twice and the radiator then on a whim I checked the pressure in the system and found that it was over pressure.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Full size matching spare from the junkyard and trimmed my front bumper down. Hopefully suspension revamp this weekend.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Roveraddiction
Toyfare just an FYI mine disco was doing the same thing and it turned out that the airconditioning was overcharged. I know it sounds strange but the electric fans could not keep up when I sat in traffic, I had changed the stat twice and the radiator then on a whim I checked the pressure in the system and found that it was over pressure.
Temps have been fine the last couple days with the new thermostat installed. AC seems to be cooler as well. I'll check that out, thanks.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:29 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rear lower control arm bushings front and rear tonight. Tomorrow the fronts get done and hopefully I can get the springs in.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just went zip tie crazy, zipped the head lights, front lic plate to brush guard( the bottom holes only), brush guard to front front frame so it wouldn't bounce.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by fishEH
Yeah I wouldn't reccomend grinding the flanges.
Not sure what you're angles are like, you may need a single DC or maybe even a double DC. A guy has a double DC for sale here, not sure what shipping would be like though.
DC-DC HD Front Driveshaft - Defender Source

Also, what are you're plan's for tires? Depending on tire size you may find that the 2" spacers are totally unnecessary .
Seriously considering to remove the 2" spacers!!!
The standard propshaf caused the total destruction of my transfere case bearings and the high range gear bush. (Due to the extreme angel)
I have decided not to repair and threw it out. Got a 1.410 ratio reconditioned box and installed. The test drive was excellent but thought I heard some knocking on the propshaft and abandoned the idea of going further.
Now the question stays: Double DC or wide Angel
On a UK forum saw some guys not happy with double DC (still vibrating) and changing to wide angels. They claim it works up to 11" lift. ?
In the meantime the Disco is on light duty and will pass the time installing stepping plates and Canvas seat covers.

Ps. The cost importing from the USA to Mozambique is trice the price.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A single joint shaft is stronger. My friends that wheel real real real hard in buggies wont touch DC shafts. They you high angle custom shafts. The thing you have to consider is pinion angle.
Name:  30cowmc_zps3a867ce8.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  24.4 KB

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?