Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CUpgt
May be able to help you out. Tearing into a parts truck this weekend weather permitting. I'll check and see if PT needs the rubber boot with the cdl
Yeah please let me know as the PO tore mine all to hell. I guess he was trying to free up the shifter. I've got some insulation from when I redid the carpet in my old grand wagoneer that I can use to replace the insulation on the top all I really need is the rubber boot. So if you can send me a message about the boot I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by MjrWraith; 05-31-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scope
Just finished applying Duracoat bed liner to my rocker panels and hood.

Can you give me any details on your rear rack (specifically the cross bars).

Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm going the last week worth of work into one post. I replaced my rear subs with ones from Amazon. They sound great! Also installed some D2 cup holders and I installed my RTE 3" front springs and dislocation cones. Still have the rear to do tomorrow. Here are some pics.
Name:  photobucket-98623-1370278092312_zpsfd530227.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  127.7 KB
Name:  photobucket-193325-1370052900814_zpsde1f7dac.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  57.2 KB
Name:  photobucket-63905-1368740645683_zps6a67e403.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  85.3 KB

Last edited by CUpgt; 06-03-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Pro Wrench

Got the rest of the OME kit off the 94 and stock springs back on it and got my 3" RTE coils under the 98. 2 lifts down in 2 days...all before noon. With a floor jack, bottle jack, 1 6 ton jack stand and a tarp in the yard...on to the boat tomorrow!
Name:  photobucket-125289-1370376772481_zps3947bfba.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  122.6 KB

Old 06-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Today I finally got around to installing the upgraded driveshaft. Now I have a vibration at 35mph. Wonderful, something else to fix.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by We-go-up
Today I finally got around to installing the upgraded driveshaft. Now I have a vibration at 35mph. Wonderful, something else to fix.
How exactly did you upgrade your driveshaft? What's your lift? What are your pinion and TC angles?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by fishEH
How exactly did you upgrade your driveshaft? What's your lift? What are your pinion and TC angles?
The driveshaft with out the rotoflex. Wich is an upgrade from stock. My signature says it all, 2" terafirma lift. Angles are what ever they would be from stock plus 2 inch lift. I didn't get to technical being that it was only a 2" lift. I stil got to work out the old sloppy rubber bushings, so I would imagine I'm just feeling a vibration that the rotoflex was absorbing.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Pro Wrench

Did the new drive shaft have new u-joints?

Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Yep, I got the kit from British Atlantic. The u-joints felt good, not to tight not too lose. I have tire cupping on my right rear, inner portion of tire. Replacing the springs and shocks helped a lot, but all my bushings are worn. My sway bar bushings where metal on metal. So they got replaced. The truck feels a lot better drive ability wise, but the suspension still feels "lose". Seems every time I attempt to fix suspension the check engine light gives me the finger.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:59 AM
4wd Low
Cool and here I go again.

Well it started when I agreed to buy sight unseen another series 1 disco for parts a couple of weeks ago. Today i came out to find it had been dropped off in my driveway blocking me in.
I'd already decided to brake it as parts because I was told it had rust and did not go.
so I could have taken the quick easy rout and towed it up the back to raid as needed. BUT NO
I'll see if it'll get there under it's own power. first...no coolant at all, bone dry......pressure test....an hour later ? no drop, so filled it with Cat coolant.
Oil....hmm...gotta be some in here some where ? ?...No
5 litres later and I've got something on the dip stick.
Battery in, ok immobiliser is activated. Key fob dead !
dismantle fob, throw parts into ultrasonic cleaner to remove corrosion. dry it out, new battery....BINGO....hmmm still no go.
Out with the hard copy Landrover electrical manual to start tracing the starter circuit.....20 minutes later. 1 corroded contact in socket for starter relay corrected....WE HAVE CONTACT, ALL SYSTEMS GO.
Started first spin, a little hesitation idling. But after about 3 starts it settled down and idled beautifully.
Brakes...ok pedal feels hard
Gears....motion in each gear

ok I'll risk a quick test drive down the gravel road.

25 kilometers later I am impressed.

It has a few thumps and bumps from rubbers a little worn, rattly front shockers.
Brake pads well worn and a little noisy, but pulls up straight and hard...ABS fully functional.
But motor ran cool and really sweet, idles beautifully.
Auto smooth and no slip
steering straight, no wanderring or leaks.
no oil or coolant loss
So a thorough crawl through, under and over.
rust, minimal under 1 alpine window, 1 bubble at the top of LH A pillar and a spot 5/8 inch round, down under the wipers in the trough across the firewall. No floor rust, no cracks around body mounts. All sound and solid. and no paint fade or peeling....WTF??

As normal, both rear windows non functional....mechanical linkage in doors, motors work from each switch. Front windows OK.

Air con...cool, not cold.

instrument plastic binnacle broken as normal.

Windscreen, no chips

90% lights OK, 1 headlamp lens chipped. Wipers all work, heater works. etc etc.

tyres barely legal, but 5 matching factory mags.

So it looks like it won't be broken, It is going to become another of my projects. But I will be wondering for a while where the coolant and oil had gone ? ? But I have no idea of its history or how long it had been parked up.

So now I have a 1998 3.9 se7 5 door auto to add to the fleet and I'm back on the hunt for another parts donor.

And because someone is bound to ask what it cost....well In the area I live Toyota is king, everybody loves them, hardly anyone favours Landies, even the local wrecking yard.
He only accepts them because he knows I'll buy them. So he delivered it to my gate for a total of $600.00 Australian. So I am a very very happy hoarder with another project to devour my time and swallow my wallet.
But a guys gotta do something to keep busy.

Last edited by bigbadwolf1966; 06-07-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?