Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
I'm considering removing my lift as well, but keeping the extended shocks.

Stock pro's:
Perfect geometry
Longer bushing life
Better articulation
Softer ride
Lower center of gravity
Less overall height to clear obstacles

Lift pro's:
Better approach, departure, and break over angles

With F/R bumpers and sliders, my angles are already very good, so that's not even needed. To fit larger tires I'll just cut the fenders, a much better approach.
Better articulation? Maybe on a stock sized tire. Geometry can be taken care of with the proper modification to support a lift as well as bushing life since angles will be corrected. Softer ride all depends on what lift springs you run as well. If you just throw 3" springs on with nothing else and complain about other issues you should have seen that coming. I run a 3" lift and the only stock component is the radius arms. A DC drive shaft took care of that issue. It most definitely does not handle like a stock truck (higher COG, no sway bars, and 33" MTs) but it is pretty well mannered. And the ground clearance and room for bigger tires will allow it to go WAY further off road than a stock disco. 2" still requires a little attention and may need supporting mods. I ran a 2" lift for a year or so with nothing but the lift and it drove just fine.

Keep the lift, cut the fenders and get some big boy tires!

Last edited by CUpgt; 07-08-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have no problems with my current 2" lift other than all the standard disadvantages.

Stock softer springs conform to irregular surfaces better. They're also taller (counterintuitive) which maintains downward pressure on droop.

Geometry can never be returned to stock (without lengthening wheelbase), even with castor corrected radius arms, drilled swivel *****, or offset radius arms. They just push the problem elsewhere to make it more tolerable. DC driveshafts are more complicated, heavier, weaker, and expensive.

These trucks are engineered very well. The only change necessary to fit larger tires, up to a point, is fender cutting. After that, lift is required, but I'm not interested in that much compromise. For me, removing lift gains much and looses little.

Look at formula off-road rigs, big tires and low as possible with good armor.

Last edited by EricTyrrell; 07-08-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just removed my resonator after seeing some videos on YouTube. There is surprisingly barely a difference in sound. I'm thinking of putting on a flowmaster 40 that I have read other members using. Is there a specific part number I need?

Old 07-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Pro Wrench

I have no problems with my current 2" lift other than all the standard disadvantages.

Stock softer springs conform to irregular surfaces better. They're also taller (counterintuitive) which maintains downward pressure on droop.

Geometry can never be returned to stock (without lengthening wheelbase), even with castor corrected radius arms, drilled swivel *****, or offset radius arms. They just push the problem elsewhere to make it more tolerable. DC driveshafts are more complicated, heavier, weaker, and expensive.

These trucks are engineered very well. The only change necessary to fit larger tires, up to a point, is fender cutting. After that, lift is required, but I'm not interested in that much compromise. For me, removing lift gains much and looses little.

I have lots of friends that wheel buggies with 40"+ tires and their belly is about the same as my Disco. But that is a whole different beast. While you do have to lengthen the wheelbase slightly a 3" lift, trimmed fenders, lockers, and 35s are a nasty combo on a D1. That is the direction my truck is headed...but its not a DD. Its a fun truck. I get where your coming from. It all depends on what you want to accomplish.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Whipped these up. Will push my shock further back and keep it out of the front cone.
Name:  photobucket-122760-1373325661327_zpsa623c94f.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  76.0 KB
Should keep the shock more upright instead of like this...
Name:  photobucket-98623-1370278092312_zpsfd530227.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  127.7 KB

Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

A 2" lift really shouldn't provide any disadvantages.
You need to set up the truck to how you want it.
HD springs whether stock or lift will ride like crap on an unloaded truck. Likewise, light duty springs will ride like crap on a fully loaded truck.
A lift is installed for two reason.
1) Acommodate larger tires
2) Improve belly ground clearance

Check out ZukiJames on Pirate. He was all gangbusters to run 33" Baja muds on stock suspension. Then after running it he wanted a 1" spacer. I'm not sure where he's at now. Point is you can only cut so much. I'm running 315/75/16's KM2's on 3" RTE springs and some trimming. My tires don't rub the sheet metal at all. The rub the inside wheel arches, where the rear wheel arch connects to the flat floor pan near the fuel fill. Can't really go cutting that now can I?

As Ian mentioned the stock D1 has great articulation with 29" tires. Go to a larger tire and you'll start losing articulation because the axle can't travel up as far as it used to.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Pro Wrench

You wont do this on stock springs! For what its worth. The truck was on 2" MD Terrafirma springs in these pics. Plenty of cutting as well.
Name:  photobucket-2493-1365889571523_zps29c1841b.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  100.1 KB
Name:  photobucket-83404-1365889411271_zpsc259f8a3.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  101.7 KB

Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^love seeing those pics.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Got a brand new full truck Polybush kit for $50 from a guy that sold his D1 before using it. Why bother? Because this:

Unfortunately:

There should be an award for even getting that thing off.

Looks like I need a new damn radius arm. Buzz isn't the only one having fun.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Pro Wrench

Found this gem in my parts truck! Christmas came early!
Name:  photobucket-120313-1373474433425_zpsf5005e43.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  152.2 KB

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?