Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Got someone to bend and weld? What's the square and flat stock for?
No need to bend anything. Cut the DOM into two 24" lengths. My buddy is doing the welding. Weld in two tube adapters on each length of DOM.
The square tube will be cut into two 4"(or less)pieces. Then it will be welded to the flat stock after I cut it into the right shape.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Picked up the steel for my trailing arms today.
48" of 2.0"x.25" DOM
21" OF 5"x.25" Flat stock
8" of 3"x3"x.1875" Square tube
Ballistic Fab order will be here Thursday.
Much further down my list but I've been planning the same thing as soon as I started looking at the price of aftermarket stuff. Looks like pretty easy stuff to fab and I've got a good basic design already. As I get closer to actually doing it (probably in the spring) I'll probably iterate my design but I think it will be nice and much lower cost. I'll be curious to see yours, I have an idea of your design based on your materials.

Cheers.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by RacerX
Much further down my list but I've been planning the same thing as soon as I started looking at the price of aftermarket stuff. Looks like pretty easy stuff to fab and I've got a good basic design already. As I get closer to actually doing it (probably in the spring) I'll probably iterate my design but I think it will be nice and much lower cost. I'll be curious to see yours, I have an idea of your design based on your materials.

Cheers.
The ONLY reason I'm going with these arms is because I have a lot of travel and am chewing up the frame bushings. If I had normal travel I'd just assume keep the RoverTracks ones so have.
I will be selling the RoverTracks cranked rear arms and have a new set of frame bushings to go with them, if you're interested.

Last night I installed some D2 headlights I picked up for free!
Name:  IMAG0532_zps17a6670a.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  105.0 KB

Old 10-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
The ONLY reason I'm going with these arms is because I have a lot of travel and am chewing up the frame bushings. If I had normal travel I'd just assume keep the RoverTracks ones so have.
I will be selling the RoverTracks cranked rear arms and have a new set of frame bushings to go with them, if you're interested.
Yeah I don't think I *need* custom arms rather I'd like to have upgraded/improved travel arms back there. The price of aftermarket kind of shocked me (and I'm coming from 12 years of racing cars) so I figured I might just do my own.

I'm interested in yours though, always willing to consider price of drop in vs time/matls to do my own. ; ) Let me know...

Cheers.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Camel Trophy

I'll give you a shout when I get them off my truck and cleaned up.
The cranked arms work very well with 2/3" lifted trucks running a +2" shock since they alleviate much of the bushing bind you would have with stock arms even while the truck is at rest. My shocks are longer than +2", though, and after two years of doing stupid stuff the bushings finally gave up.

Cheers.
Yeah I don't think I *need* custom arms rather I'd like to have upgraded/improved travel arms back there. The price of aftermarket kind of shocked me (and I'm coming from 12 years of racing cars) so I figured I might just do my own.

I'm interested in yours though, always willing to consider price of drop in vs time/matls to do my own. ; ) Let me know...

Cheers.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I fixed my passenger seat switch! gonna post a thread on cleanup/rebuild shortly

Old 10-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd wrecked my D1 ("Crazy Red") last winter and it had sat a my friend's construction yard until now.

Despite the damage, and since it's one of the rare 5-speeds and I love driving this truck, there was no way I was going write it off and part it out. It's just too fun to drive compared to Disco's with an automatic.

Well, I finally got a chance to "adjust" the rad core support using a my fine adjustment tools (a BFH, pry bars, a backhoe, and a chain). and install the replacement fan, radiator, bonnet, grill, headlights, trim, and bumper.

Getting the bonnet to line up and latch propperly was a PITA and it is pretty stiff, so I think I see a set of hood pins in its near future. The passenger side headlight is also going need some fine tuning. (I ended up having to zip tie it to keep it in place...the headlight bucket is still a mess and the clips on the headlight were pretty well junk. New clips will help a little, but more messaging of the bucket will be required.)

Anyway, with a jump she kicked right over and was running like a top.

Of course, this was all too easy. When I took her for a test drive to confirm all was well, I burst a brake line, so that's my next project for later this week. Then it's on to replacing the rear upper shock mounts, rear shocks, and welding in some plate steel to patch holes in the floors, firewall, and bases of the A/B pillars. (I know, I know...not worth it...should just get another, blah, blah, blah... Like I said, I love this truck...common sense says it should have gone to the scrap heap, but the engine runs (*knock-on-wood*) incredibly well, and the R380 is oh-so-sweet...)

This is the only picture I took. The puddle of fluid is just from my trying to bleed the cooling system.

Between this and my D2 (fan exploded...took whole cooling system and airbox...not due to motor mounts, but really not sure why yet...very little play in the water pump shaft, but there is some) I'm going to have a very busy couple weeks leading up to the Robesonia Trials and then Rovers on the Rocks...

Old 10-16-2013, 07:35 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearw
I fixed my passenger seat switch! gonna post a thread on cleanup/rebuild shortly
Nice. Fixed, or replaced? Interested to hear about if you fixed the switch itself since mine needs replaced too.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
Nice. Fixed, or replaced? Interested to hear about if you fixed the switch itself since mine needs replaced too.
Fixed. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...witches-62504/

Nice working bringing her back from the dead!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lug nut covers were spinning. Used a cut off wheel to take ALL of the caps off the truck. (BTW—pain in the ***). Retorqued the nuts to spec. Bench bleed the master cylinder and replaced the brake fluid with DOT4. In all actuality, I think the tires look better without the covers.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?