Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
Holy crap scope. Ill be praying for you man.

I just got all the parts for my swivel job. Tackling that in the morning
Thanks calebbo,Just happy everyone is o.k.Now it hits me Oh @%&$ my truck!
Might be the end of my build thread.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Scope
Not so much what I did but just got hit head on by a drunk drive.My nine year old was with me .Everyone is ok.Thank god I drive that tank.Sitting in a urgent care now waiting to get checked out.
Nooooooo! Dammit! I'm sorry man. Glad everyone is OK

Old 11-15-2013, 11:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Finally got up the nerve to drive it to work and back (I get home by midnight) I learned 2 things, 1) my flickering lights get better at higher speeds, and 2) 300 miles and used 15.1 gals of gas!!!Impressive for a full time 4WD with that much weight behind it.

P.S. glad you are OK Scope!!

Old 11-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night i made a Krispy Kreme run in the truck after my better half got home from work and i noticed my radio was going in and out much like what happens to the cd changer when going over bumps in the road and i immediately thought about the alternator, Today I woke up planning to do a brake bleed job and a VSS swap with the alternator issue in the back of my mind but not pressing and while driving I suddenly lost power for a second. Turned my lights off (it was dark and rainy) this morning and made it to my destination. So I shelved the plans for the bleed and VSS and focused on the problem at hand. I ordered an alternator, new serp belt and under hood fuses to replace a few that don't look that great. At the same time my headliner started leaking on the passenger seat(due to the rain). I inspected the top and around the windshield, I noticed a crack in the seal running perpendicular with the shield and 4 inches long. I sealed in with Rtv silicone and also hot my seals around the stock roof rack and roof windows. I wd40'd my doors amd anything that I thought needed it.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Headed out to Cliffs Offroad in Marseilles, IL yesterday. Had a good turnout, even an Evoque!!
Name:  IMAG0724_zps30e673bb.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  202.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0749_zps4000f30a.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  274.7 KB

I also decided(for some foolish reason) to take trail #9, AKA "Carnage" trail. To be fair the bottom 1/2-2/3 wasn't bad and was pretty fun. The last part was brutal. VERY tight and rutted. Got into the bank and trees many many times and my RockStar rack saved my bacon a ton of times. But I ran the entire trail from start to finish!!! Thank GOD for my Viking GS-9 winch, I'd still be sitting there without it.
Here's the damage tally:
-rear passenger window broken out
-passenger side body panels are badly dented
-possibly lost an air line for my front Ashcroft locker while winching
-passenger front window vent shade thing broken near the mirror

Name:  IMAG0757_zps64222f08.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  169.8 KB

Old 11-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Replaced the Alternator with a unit off Ebay. no more flickering lights!!

Also found that the backing on the headliner is strong enough to handle a staple gun. Stapled the fabric to the backing above the windshield. now I can see out again!! (temp fix until it gets warmer out next summer)

I'd ask how you get mud jammed into the roof rack, but then I noticed the broken back window..

Last edited by jimvw57; 11-23-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Drifting

Today with the help of a friend I installed a alternator that I picked up from Will Tillery, my main parts supplier for the 9 years I have owned this truck. I also slipped on a new serp belt that I procured from Tillery. I also ....drumroll....swapped out my VSS with a rebuilt VSS. I had to use a piece of pipe from my local ACE hardware to get the Tourque needed to move the allen screw after I bathed it in liquid wrench. The original VSS came apart in my hands upon inspection later. No wonder my truck has had the hiccups.

On deck: a brake bleed and a coolant swap. Then it's time for new shocks and springs for the rear and new springs for the front, light duty terrafirma, new tires and then I need to do a brake and rotor job along with swapping out my bearings.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put key in ignition and it makes a sound I never heard before: ding dong, ding dong..

It was the only time something started working that I had no idea existed. Maybe the freezing cold weather did it.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Drifting

Took her off road for the second time, I am loving every minute as a new owner
The Disco's stock capability in my inexperienced hands impressed the hell out of my friend who will now hopefully be buying one for himself soon!

Old 11-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Overlanding

Front drive shaft rebuild. Wow. Thank you stickies!

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?