Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishEH
Should have used the paperclip trick.
What's the paperclip trick?!?!

Still waiting on the part...and having trouble finding the brake pedal switch. Any tips on where it is (first time doing this job).

Old 12-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

Had the 'stuck in park' on my Disco a few weeks ago. The brake light switch is mounted up pretty high on the brake pedal stop. It will have 2 or 4 wires sticking out the back of it.(mine had 4) There is a second switch below that one for the cruise, which has a rubber hose on it. Leave that one alone.

The actual switch itself is the same as what Audi uses on most of their cars. You can use a paper clip and jumper out the switch, makes your brake lights stay on but allows you to get the truck out of park. I found that with the switch removed, but still plugged in, I could mess with it and get it out of park to get it home.

The auto parts store didn't have a switch but it listed a 2 wire version for my truck. it said the 4 wire switch was for a manual trans , mine is an automatic. Take a look at what you got before they order the wrong one. Price was $19.95

Last edited by jimvw57; 12-05-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jimvw57
Had the 'stuck in park' on my Disco a few weeks ago. The brake light switch is mounted up pretty high on the brake pedal stop. It will have 2 or 4 wires sticking out the back of it. There is a second switch below that one for the cruise, which has a rubber hose on it. Leave that one alone.

The actual switch itself is the same as what Audi uses on most of their cars. You can use a paper clip and jumper out the switch, makes your brake lights stay on but allows you to get the truck out of park. I found that with the switch removed, but still plugged in, I could mess with it and get it out of park to get it home.
Is it above the rubber boot?

Old 12-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by jamescphillips
What's the paperclip trick?!?!

Still waiting on the part...and having trouble finding the brake pedal switch. Any tips on where it is (first time doing this job).
James, easiest way to find the brake light switch is to grab the brake pedal and follow up the metal arm till you find the two plungers touching it. To actually see the switch you may have to lay on your back with your head facing up, of course remove the black shroud around the pedal area.
Here's what it looks like.
http://search.cartserver.com/search/...05794&go=GO%21

Paperclip trick:
The rear cargo door has two metal clips on the glass.
One is for the third brake light, the other for the rear defrost.
Take a paperclip and jumper these two together.
Start truck, press rear defrost, shift out of park, press rear defrost again to turn off.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL no way! Mine did the same thing this week (no shift outta park) I knew of the problem and was able to figure out to jump it with a paperclip... Then I read this thread and see everyone else doing the same thing, how perfect.

Got a replacement for $9.95 shipped on ebay: New Brake Light Switch Lamp 525 535 540 735 750 850 5 Series 325 3 318 530 | eBay

Old 12-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Three Wheeling

James, easiest way to find the brake light switch is to grab the brake pedal and follow up the metal arm till you find the two plungers touching it. To actually see the switch you may have to lay on your back with your head facing up, of course remove the black shroud around the pedal area.
Here's what it looks like.
http://search.cartserver.com/search/...05794&go=GO%21
Awesome! I think you answered my question - the black shroud was in the way and I found it. I'll replace it tonight after work in the frigid temps!

As always, this board comes through!

Old 12-05-2013, 03:08 PM
4wd Low

GM? S10 pump?
That's the one, thanks to this forum. Taking a chance it will fit in my 97 and from what I can tell it will. I've already removed the original and plan on taking pictures of the install. The leaking pump was one of the reasons I got it for the price I did last year, and just now getting to it.

Glad I removed the headliner the other day, found holes in my sunroof drainage tubes today, which explains the damp spots when it rains.

Both of my sunroofs stopped working at the same time. I hear a clicking from the ECU when I try both. Seems strange that both motors would malfunction at the same time. Any suggestions?

Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Three Wheeling

Follow up on my brake light switch (BLS)...

Needing a BLS for my '96 automatic, I ordered one from Napa - received this one:

NAPA AUTO PARTS

However the one I needed was actually this:

NAPA AUTO PARTS

Since Napa closes at 5pm I headed over to Advanced and picked up the correct version. I'm guessing that whoever built the database behind Napa|Advanced|Autozone|etc. has these parts switched (manual vs auto).

Old 12-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by DubV_Disco
That's the one, thanks to this forum. Taking a chance it will fit in my 97 and from what I can tell it will. I've already removed the original and plan on taking pictures of the install. The leaking pump was one of the reasons I got it for the price I did last year, and just now getting to it.

Glad I removed the headliner the other day, found holes in my sunroof drainage tubes today, which explains the damp spots when it rains.

Both of my sunroofs stopped working at the same time. I hear a clicking from the ECU when I try both. Seems strange that both motors would malfunction at the same time. Any suggestions?
Good read here too.
S10 Psp - DiscoWeb Message Boards

Old 12-08-2013, 06:59 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the additional info. Didn't know that some people weren't getting enough pressure out of them. powersteering - Hope i don't have to do this, but if I find it necessary I will

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?