Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:05 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

are you getting ram assist too or no? that was on of the best mods i ever did on my XJ

Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No hydro plans. Should turn the 35s with ease. A buddy turned 37" stickies with the same pump on a disco truggy so I should be good on 35s. The Rover pump had a nasty habit of fading out at the most inconvenient times while wheeling.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:45 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

the p-pump is def a nice upgrade, im not sure how the disco one compares to a stock jeep pump but i'll find out eventually. once you wheel with assist going back to non-assist with big tires sucks.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Filled the tires with air and washed her

Well the Disco has been kind of iggy for the last month since I bought the Z3 so had to make up.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3846
the p-pump is def a nice upgrade, im not sure how the disco one compares to a stock jeep pump but i'll find out eventually. once you wheel with assist going back to non-assist with big tires sucks.
I may end up with hydro but it'll be down the road. The PSC p-pump adapter I used is for a 4.0 Jeep, just modified a bit. I really don't think it'll be necessary with 35s. I'll end up ditch the Rover axles one of these days and getting some real axles and 37s... If the wife doesn't kill me first!

Once I get the belt length I'll start a separate post on it with pay #s and details. It's really a pretty easy upgrade.

Last edited by CUpgt; 05-07-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad trans

Hear that "whoosh" sound? That's the sound of my D1 sucking all the money out of my wallet and maxing out my credit cards!

I used to have a '95 XJ6, and called the import shop that worked on it, and asked about diagnosing the trans in my D1 SD (only goes into reverse when it's cold, shift points are high, spins 3200 rpms going 60 mph on stock size tires, etc). They said they don't work on transmissions, and referred me to an AAMCO shop. Took the D1 there, and according to them, based on what I told them, their test drive, and visual inspection, I need my trans rebuilt.

So their estimate for parts and labor, which includes a new torque converter, is almost $3000! Granted, the D1 has 149K miles on it, but I only paid $2K for it two weeks ago. And their estimate doesn't include "unfreezing" the shift lever for the transfer case.

I got a couple of other transmission repair shops I'll take it to for more estimates, but yikes! Good thing I have my trusty '93 Explorer Sport as my daily driver!

Old 05-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by socal1200r
So their estimate for parts and labor, which includes a new torque converter, is almost $3000!
Just put a used one in then. They are very reliable. Usually can be had for less than $500 including shipping.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've seen good used transmissions on craigslist for free to $250.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by socal1200r
Hear that "whoosh" sound? That's the sound of my D1 sucking all the money out of my wallet and maxing out my credit cards!

I used to have a '95 XJ6, and called the import shop that worked on it, and asked about diagnosing the trans in my D1 SD (only goes into reverse when it's cold, shift points are high, spins 3200 rpms going 60 mph on stock size tires, etc). They said they don't work on transmissions, and referred me to an AAMCO shop. Took the D1 there, and according to them, based on what I told them, their test drive, and visual inspection, I need my trans rebuilt.

So their estimate for parts and labor, which includes a new torque converter, is almost $3000! Granted, the D1 has 149K miles on it, but I only paid $2K for it two weeks ago. And their estimate doesn't include "unfreezing" the shift lever for the transfer case.

I got a couple of other transmission repair shops I'll take it to for more estimates, but yikes! Good thing I have my trusty '93 Explorer Sport as my daily driver!
I just removed the trans from mine to fix rear main on the engine it was a true pain to remove
The cdl you can do in a day to unfreeze
If that exploder is awd expect to be on the side of the road when it throws the transfer case chain super common

Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TOM R
I just removed the trans from mine to fix rear main on the engine it was a true pain to remove
The cdl you can do in a day to unfreeze
If that exploder is awd expect to be on the side of the road when it throws the transfer case chain super common
AAMCO is charging me $550 labor to remove/install the trans, and the rest is parts/labor for the rebuild. As long as the CDL is in "neutral", and the truck is in AWD, I'm probably not going to mess with it right away. And my Explorer is 2wd, so no transfer case to explode.

When I had my '95 XJ6 (BRG over biscuit leather), I was amazed that the British still haven't figured out how to paint a car (the roof was terribly pitted with crows feet in the clearcoat, and the hood wasn't too far behind), or install a radio that would last. Mine had a mind of its own, would work when it wanted, change stations when it wanted, and of course the wiring harness wouldn't fit any after-market head units.

I'm hoping this D1 won't continue that fine British tradition of aggravating electrical issues, but I already have one - the rear windows. They won't go up and down on demand using either the front window switches or the switches in the doors. They'll work occasionally, and I haven't quite figured out the precise steps to take to make those rear windows work like they're supposed to...

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?