Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Removed fuel filler door. Painted filler interior silver since it's steel. Replaced cap with a locking cap. I like the defender/early RRC look and simplicity. No longer do I have to give my keys to a gas attendant.

Added rubber diamond plate to bumper to protect powder coat and give traction when used as a step.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

WTF did you do to your rear windows!!!!??? And why?

Old 10-30-2014, 11:52 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by fishEH
WTF did you do to your rear windows!!!!??? And why?
Had to drill the spot welds and take them out anyways to do the D2 lights. Then decided I didn't want or need them, and didn't feel like buying new seals. Privacy is a bonus.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:48 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Removed fuel filler door. Painted filler interior silver since it's steel. Replaced cap with a locking cap. I like the defender/early RRC look and simplicity. No longer do I have to give my keys to a gas attendant.

Added rubber diamond plate to bumper to protect powder coat and give traction when used as a step.

I did a similar mod, because the plastic clippy that locks it shut broke...

Atta boy!

Old 10-31-2014, 06:07 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm just noticing this now.... did you sand away all your paint to bare aluminum?

Old 10-31-2014, 08:13 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by MM3846
I'm just noticing this now.... did you sand away all your paint to bare aluminum?
He did. Also swapped in D2 rear corners.
Eric, how hard was it to pull the D1 corner pieces off? Did you have to cut through spot welds? How did you secure the D2 pieces? My drivers side has a dent in it and I'm wondering how involved replacing that bit may be. Thanks!

Old 10-31-2014, 11:16 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by MM3846
Only took a few months of spare time

Old 10-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Only took a few months of spare time
i'm waiting for mine to do it naturally. hood is almost 1/4 of the way there.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by fishEH
He did. Also swapped in D2 rear corners.
Eric, how hard was it to pull the D1 corner pieces off? Did you have to cut through spot welds? How did you secure the D2 pieces? My drivers side has a dent in it and I'm wondering how involved replacing that bit may be. Thanks!
If the corner panel wasn't spot welded to the side panel it'd be easy. You could unscrew the corner and cut the seam to the side panel, but then I'm not sure how you'd attach a new corner panel to the side panel. Maybe adhesive.

I chose to remove the side panel, drill out the spot welds, and rivet the D2 corner on using the drilled spot weld holes.

Removing the side panel involved interior removal, removal of a dozen bolts, drilling rivets, and the dreaded black panel sealer goo which his used thick and liberally. Then had to remove the glass to drill and rivet the seam.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:42 PM
Camel Trophy

If the corner panel wasn't spot welded to the side panel it'd be easy. You could unscrew the corner and cut the seam to the side panel, but then I'm not sure how you'd attach a new corner panel to the side panel. Maybe adhesive.

I chose to remove the side panel, drill out the spot welds, and rivet the D2 corner on using the drilled spot weld holes.

Removing the side panel involved interior removal, removal of a dozen bolts, drilling rivets, and the dreaded black panel sealer goo which his used thick and liberally. Then had to remove the glass to drill and rivet the seam.
Hmmm, Ok. Doesn't sound outside the realm of possibility. My interior is already gutted. The bigger pain would probably be trying to source that part from a junk yard....

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?