Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 06:07 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Replaced my crankshaft position sensor after i busted it pulling my exhaust out. I did find out if you connector on the harness side is busted or the insulation has come off like mine the same connector is used for the front turn signals. I happened to have a spare one in my parts bin and it fits. I consider this a victory.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:09 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed some stainless steel to replace the very old original nylon lines, and flushed out the old fluid very thoroughly. I should have done this much earlier the pedal feels so stiff now its great. After that I helped my friend replace a window motor on his driver side and and window regulator on the passenger side of his D2

Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

replaced driver's side swivel ball seal. gonna need a new ball soon as this one is pitted.

Also some basic maintenance, oil/filter, coolant change, front diff oil

Old 05-03-2017, 04:12 AM
Drifting

Had a day of desert exploration, my favorite place to drive. The truck goes so smoothly and quietly through the sands

Last edited by El Duce; 05-03-2017 at 04:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Ankeneering
Posted these images from a solo car camping trip last fall, and both the last time I've been stuck and the last time I've used the engine as an oven. The mud in these images is actually clay... like pottery throwing grade clay and slippery and sticky as hell. The only substrate I've been stuck in that was more challenging than this was bentonite in Wyoming... kind of ash colored and basically kittly litter and astoundingly difficult to extricate oneself from.

edited to say slipped in an image taken much later in fall as evidenced by the gold folliage.

Joe
unicorn 97 5-speed/cloth/grey interior/no sunroofs/no leaks/no dash lights/18+ MPG (not joking)
Mud and highway tires dont mix .

Old 05-11-2017, 05:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

Replaced all the mounting bushes on my 10yo koni shocks, car handles like new again.
Also swapped out the steering box for a low mileage unit that doesnt leak the Exxon Valdez, will put a seal kit in my old one and keep for a spare.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Winching
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Replaced the A/C condenser fans, thanks Paul Grant!
Gave the system a wee dose of Freon.
Blowing ice cold. Groovy.

As I was putting tools away heard a spitting/bubbling sound. Coolant reservoir took a . yay.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:19 PM
Drifting

From little things grow large problems. The cigarette lighter socket was loose and annoying me so I removed the center console, kind of a pain, and either discovered or created several cracks therein. Further discovered there is no way to tighten the socket. Ended up using a hose clamp to effect a sort of improvement, and installed a second socket in the rear of the console. In the meantime, the window switch panel was found to be precariously held together with dabs of black silicon and cracked bits of remaining plastic attachment bosses and clips, most of which broke upon simply looking at them. I'm amazed the switches felt as secure as they did prior to this. Reassembled switch panel as best I could, but really need new one. And of course, once all was back in place, the driver side window which hither to had been working just fine stopped working. Must be the switch or wiring, right? Nope, it was the motor. Order new standard motor. Remove regulator, find it is not a standard version regulator but rather some "compatible" job which takes a different, unidentifiable, motor. Order a standard regulator and once again have a working window. Stupid cigarette lighter.

Meantime, replaced all four O2 sensors. Tip: to easier work in the tight space behind the motor, lay on top of the engine front to back to get both hands back there at the same time. Drained a replaced about 5 quarts of ATF, drove it for a week, drained and replace another 5 quarts. Fluid is now not bright red, but at least more red than brown, whereas previously it was alarmingly close to black. No indication of any problems though. By my calculations, I should have about 75% new fluid in there now.

Last edited by saintdel; 05-24-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:30 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finished work pit space for front tires. Installed on slope with apex at parking brake drum front down. Not sure yet where when back end down. Worked out nice. All kinds of room to set tools, parts coffee in easy reach. Parts that can roll go in small to medium plastic and metal trays. Then spent another hour verifying both roof leaks are inop. Worked fine when brought it home. Didn't open/close since about Nov and now both out. Hex wrench doesn't move them either. JB weld a piece of lexan over them. Tightened pan bolts for oil and transmission. And tightened more lug nuts than should be needed. again.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold it

Regretfully, sold my original 2000 TreK, #2 with only 82K.
Well paid, but still regret it.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?