Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Replaced worn belt tensioner bearing. Cutting notch in the side was nearly only way to get snap ring out. Very smooth now and no more squeaking.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by d1eddie
so about a 40 days a go i was hit by a plastic truck, looked bad for him.. but i needed a new bumper and tail light.. and a touch of paint.

so after a few trips to the local dealer i got some hi quotes ...

then the fun started i contacted Perry Mcneil (yes the desert racing legend)

the plan was a real budget build.. so first was his test drive .

on a big blue spring lift 4" lift , 30.5" x16r tires, pro comp shocks.no sway bars.

he came back quickly and told me i was nuts for driving my off camber rover on the road and the free way was just nuts..

so the mods started

first the whole front end was dropped
12" fox pro racing shocks we bought, super winch lp10000, custom shock towers, custom mount, so much re adjustments to get the steering and camber/caster perfect on the front end. and the front end was moved 1/2 inch forward ..

also they made some reinforced bumper brackets that i can hang my car from a crane from with no frame damage

then came the test, he wanted me to test drive it , but i insisted the perry would have a better fill for if the rover was ready for some desert time. so he pre ran it in baja. came beck and did some more adjustments , beefed up some points with bigger mounts with better flexing .. and got it diled in ..

now my rover is stable on and off road ,i love it...

i have yet to get a long off road trip in, but i took it out twice and it was eating up the bumps at higher speed, and had a way softer ride and with the extra few inches of travel really help out.

and i am using every inch of shock .

also treated my self to a bunck of recovery gear, and got the new hi lift extreme with every accessible add on , 2 - 30000 20' recovery lines , 30000p ****** block, 2 -tree savers , new medic kit, new mag light set,on board air(for tools), rear view cam,

next mods: roll cage,(exo cage if i am lucky), rear/front air lockers, and i need to find a gps system that remembers trails (bred crumb).
and a few dry cell battery's, and a running parts car soon... (tho i have this Cummings turbo diesel 2007 i-6) that i want in my disco . i have access to low cost bio diesel ,and farm diesel(yes the red stuff is tax free)

and i really need off set rims to widen my tires and track...

well also i am new to this site, and i am looking for some people who want fiber glass for there d1 ? if i get 5 people with $400-600 we all get custom 1 peace front ends , hood and fenders
pm me for info , or call Perry's and ask for Mike, tell him ur talking to Eddie(me) about getting fiberglass front end on you rover..( i don't work for them) i am just a returning customer

McNeil Racing Inc - Off road fiberglass fenders, bedsides, dashes, one piece clips & race bodies!
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you had a a lot of work done. So the truck is set up as a desert racer? What shocks/suspension are you running in the rear?
I'm going to go ahead and be critical, but its constructive I promise. Why did you put that HUGE Jeep bumper on your Disco? Especially since it doesn't offer any side protection and hangs down so low? Also, The lights look kinda guady, like they belong on an 80's pick up truck. It sounds like you have the money, I'd recommend a nice slimline bumper, RTE, Safari Gard, or RockStar Fab. Also, I'd replace those lights with some Hella 4000's or a Rigid LED bar.
Look into a 1"x30' Super Yanker rope from Master Pull, they rock.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishEH
Why didn't you go HD all around, and where did you get s set of mismatched springs? You won't be able to bring the front down with a Hi-Lift. At this point your best bet is some cheap aluminum round stock for spacers on the rear to level it out.
From Justin. Numbers wise, it's level, give or take a half inch on all four corners. From middle of wheel to bottom of fender.

I hated the ride of the HD, I couldn't go over a damn speedbump without getting pissed off at how bad it was. I put a level on the black trim on the sides, sure enough, the back sits lower. I'm about to PM you

Originally Posted by bcbp
Looks great, where did you get the headliner material from? And how many cans of adhesive it take?
Great! I'm not sure, I had it redone by a sketchy guy in a minivan. He had this neat spray adhesive he covered it with. $70 out the door including material. Can't beat that

Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dig the sounds of your truck. Pictures! Action pictures!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Removed the remaining door panels, lock actuators, and inside lock rods. Ordered aluminum sheet to start making custom door panels. Got some more ideas for how I'll fabricate them and a few other areas of the truck.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:25 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I blew the head gasket lat night coming home from bowling. So what will I do to my Disco today???? Tear it down and find the problem

Old 08-03-2012, 08:35 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Joelewis73
I think I blew the head gasket lat night coming home from bowling. So what will I do to my Disco today???? Tear it down and find the problem
Never mind I blew a hose that goes to the heater lst night much better than I thought. Will be pulling the radiator today and having it rodded out. Have to go find new electric fans and wait for the new water pump to show up tomorrow? I bought a Beck Arnley pump that cost almost $300 so I am going to assume that the high price means its a good one.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Joelewis73
Never mind I blew a hose that goes to the heater lst night much better than I thought. Will be pulling the radiator today and having it rodded out. Have to go find new electric fans and wait for the new water pump to show up tomorrow? I bought a Beck Arnley pump that cost almost $300 so I am going to assume that the high price means its a good one.
Holy smokes!!!! Where did you even find a water pump for $300? Honestly I would return that one and buy the $65 one. Even the OE one is only $130.
Land Rover Parts, Accessories and Information

Old 08-03-2012, 09:34 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by fishEH
Holy smokes!!!! Where did you even find a water pump for $300? Honestly I would return that one and buy the $65 one. Even the OE one is only $130.
Land Rover Parts, Accessories and Information
It was at Oreilly will be here tomorrow so I guess I will be taking it back. It was the best one I could find locally the others ones were cheaper but I was under the assumption cheaper is not always better esp in the lines of major equipment like the water pump.? Will do some more research today then thanks

Old 08-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Drifting

chase truck not race truck the other people ,but mostly for camping and off road trips recovering and its a budget build
i got both bumper for less then $200 and don't see the need for using a bumper as protection when i just try to avoid hitting rocks and i am having a custom exo cage with sliders built so i should be fine, on size and the jeep bumper is less then half the weight from the arb bumper but the winch plate is thicker then the arb one .

on the lights there 140v and work great for me and for what they are hella4000 are only 100v air plane spot light would be better , your going to love the leds all over for parking lights ,blinkers , reverse lights . its flipping bright but works great out in the silts and dust storms,fog,heavy snow and la smog lol so people dont crash into me anymore..

so who has complected hydro steering on there d1
and who sells sturdy exo cages ???

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?