Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Replaced my old POS Teraflex center link with this

and yes it's pink hahaha
I saw some really cute Pink Barbie Bike Baskets that would look real purty mounted on the grille in front!

Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fancy was tasked with pulling trees this past weekend...

Am I doing this right?

Attached Thumbnails So what did you do to your Disco today?-466651_10150901656700830_613790829_12857686_875987758_o.jpg  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome!

Old 04-03-2012, 02:32 PM
4wd Low

I finished the "Stuck Diff Lock" fix. I'm guessing it's not been off-road ever!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a set of clear turn signals on mine today. The OEM units were filling with water and kept destroying bulbs and bulb holders.

As a side note, what did you do to un-stick the diff lock shifter? After an unseasonably mild winter (read: I didn't need the diff lock for deep snow) my shifter was pretty stiff the first time I took the rig off-road this spring. I guess the problem is more when going back and forth between low range and high range. I'm hoping to loosen it up over the next several uses.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by WRyan450
I finished the "Stuck Diff Lock" fix. I'm guessing it's not been off-road ever!

That is great. I like the calculations you did. Very nice results.

Did you pull the console and go thru it?

I had to when I first got mine . Have not had any problems with it since. That was years ago.

Mountain Goat, You may get by with spraying it good with PB Blaster or similar product. There is a selector plate at the bottom of the linkage with a nut in the center, if you can turn that like you were loosening the nut, it should move the entire linkage and lock the center diff. HI/LOW is totally separate set of linkages and of course the tranny must be in N unless someone removed the solenoid like some people like to do.

There are several threads on here regarding the Diff Lock. Also if you click on the pics link in my signature, there are multiple pics I took as I worked my way thru mine.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dropped the disco off at a off-road fabrication/chassis shop for a custom bumper and sliders. Can't wait to get it back

Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CUpgt
Dropped the disco off at a off-road fabrication/chassis shop for a custom bumper and sliders. Can't wait to get it back
Sweet, post pics when you do. I'd love to see it!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
That is great. I like the calculations you did. Very nice results.

Did you pull the console and go thru it?

I had to when I first got mine . Have not had any problems with it since. That was years ago.

Mountain Goat, You may get by with spraying it good with PB Blaster or similar product. There is a selector plate at the bottom of the linkage with a nut in the center, if you can turn that like you were loosening the nut, it should move the entire linkage and lock the center diff. HI/LOW is totally separate set of linkages and of course the tranny must be in N unless someone removed the solenoid like some people like to do.

There are several threads on here regarding the Diff Lock. Also if you click on the pics link in my signature, there are multiple pics I took as I worked my way thru mine.
I did go ahead and pull the console. I also did not cut the gator. I drilled out the rivets and installed new.

It was fun explaining to my wife why it needs to be waterproof. I used a couple of sprays (PB Blaster and Rust Eater) to break loose the rod. It took alot of effort. Alot of wiggle wiggle wiggle, spray, sit, wiggle wiggle wiggle. It went from completely seized to could be moved using 1 finger freely in about 3 hours or so. LOL I ate my dinner in the truck as I kept working it. It works great now.

Attached Thumbnails So what did you do to your Disco today?-imag0175.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-imag0174.jpg  
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 AM

Did you see any of the threads I did on mine? I had to basically replace a lot of the little stuff and totally removed that top box and the linkage all the way to the selector plate on the transfer case.

I also had to replace the plunger switch on the T/C that turns the dash light on to get it to function. Pics are posted in the links in my signature as well as a very interesting young lady playing a ukelele. I invite you to look at both.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?