Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Strange start up issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:12 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify why I mentioned my horn wires. I was thinking that this unconnected wire might have an effect on my starting issue

Old 05-17-2013, 01:50 PM
4wd Low

Just an update I went ahead & cleaned the MAF. It initially seemed to run a bit better. I attempted to change my fuel filter but its rusted bad. I doused it with wd40 & try it again today. I'm still checking wires in meantime. Also gonna sniff test the relays & test fuses some are visually not looking well turning green & looking corroded.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:53 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
You may want to look at cleaning the IACV with carb cleaner (don't move the end of it) just spray. And think about cleaning the MAF when it is cold, key not turned, and use made for MAF spray.
So appreciative for your input. Since I cleaned my MAF my LR runs alot better & seems to be improving daily since I took your advice. I haven't yet got to the IACV yet but when I locate it I'll do that to & keep everyone posted. I've been busy in the meantime getting small stuff (electrical: fuse checkers, testers) got two projects going rite now. My landy & my grand cherrokee that I'm gonna get rid of asap I gotta find a parts place though my local lordco is limited in parts & referred me to the dealership. I know my regular mechanic can fix er up but I like gettin my hands dirty especially on regular maintenance eg. Oil changes, brake pads

Old 05-19-2013, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You can order parts on line from a variety of sources, and for odd parts there are dismantlers (like Paul Grant) who take Rovers apart to skeletons, and toss bad parts, sell the rest, crush remaining bones.

Here are pages from the RAVE shop manual on the IACV. It is located right next to the Throttle Position Sensor. The IACV is the one on the right when viewed from the radaiator end of the truck. The IACV controls speeds at idle. When removed spray it with carb cleaner, don't twist the pintle end of it. Also clean the bore it comes out of. Just next to that will be a rubber hose from the valve cover, that is one of the PCV lines, remove it and clean with carb cleaner, mine had a glob of buildup inside the fitting on the throttle body that was as thick as vaseline. Cleaned out with a Q tip soaked in carb cleaner.

If you find these pages helpful, the whole RAVE shop manual is a free download in my signature and belongs on your PC.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
D1 IACV pages.pdf (457.6 KB, 94 views)