Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Transmission fluid and filter change on a Disco 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by filbs
There was a large clunk when going to reverse. Not really noisy. I guess shifting from 1st to second seems smother now... guy at advanced auto recommended the sea foam.. Btw I only put a half pint as I didn't want to over fill.
The clunk is drive train slack has nothing to do with tranmission. Likely worn u-joints, diff's, transfer case mounts etc.

You dont really seem like it made a huge difference, I am wondering if it had a placebo effect

and for the love of god never take the advice of somebody from behind the counter at an autoparts store.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1

You dont really seem like it made a huge difference, I am wondering if it had a placebo effect

and for the love of god never take the advice of somebody from behind the counter at an autoparts store.
more than likely.. NOTED: no advice from cashiers at auto store..

Old 04-03-2012, 01:00 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait a minute. There is the 1 in 900,000 chance that the person knows what they are talking about. I used to work behind the parts counter part time so I could get a better parts discount for all the crap I had to do to repair my personal vehicles at the shop I worked at. The parts stores generally offer a much better discount to their employees than to indy shops. But it is usually pretty easy to tell which ones know what they are talking about. Ask them about their personal projects. A few seconds into it you will know if they are blowing smoke or have a good working knowledge.

Cashiers, on the other hand, don't know jack.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Wait a minute. There is the 1 in 900,000 chance that the person knows what they are talking about. I used to work behind the parts counter part time so I could get a better parts discount for all the crap I had to do to repair my personal vehicles at the shop I worked at. The parts stores generally offer a much better discount to their employees than to indy shops. But it is usually pretty easy to tell which ones know what they are talking about. Ask them about their personal projects. A few seconds into it you will know if they are blowing smoke or have a good working knowledge.

Cashiers, on the other hand, don't know jack.
I would say the odds are worse than that around here. There is an indy LR shop little south of me but I am in Jeep Country. There is one other white RRC and a silver D2 I have seen in my area but that is it aside from the guy that owns the rover shop.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:12 PM
TReK

I would say the odds are worse than that around here. There is an indy LR shop little south of me but I am in Jeep Country. There is one other white RRC and a silver D2 I have seen in my area but that is it aside from the guy that owns the rover shop.
Yeah, I made up the odds, but that is a general idea. But you are correct. More than 99% are idiots. Some can't even find the right parts for you!!!!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do any of you guys actually know what changing the fluid does that causes a transmission to fail?

What is it about changing the fluid that causes the filter to become clogged?

Old 04-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what I understand after the fluid gets so old it starts to lose its chemical properties. And adding new detergents and additives can throw off a delicate balance that is created.... This is what I have been told... I in no way claim to be an expert and everything I know about my truck I am learning from these guys...and by getting my hands dirty

Old 04-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Higgs, what has been your experience?

Old 04-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Do any of you guys actually know what changing the fluid does that causes a transmission to fail?
Caveat: I am by no means an expert on automatic transmissions.

It may have been a time that I was clouded by Puerto Rican wildflower (as Danny likes to call it ), but Im almost positive I read that the little particles of metal and whatnot that build up over time in the tranny will act as friction enhancers.

When you put new fluid in, what little friction the tranny had left is gone, and hence it will no longer engage.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 PM
TReK

My experience is that if it needs changed...change it. It lasts longer than not changing it. Every time I see a tranny that "died" after a fluid change, it turns out the tranny was already dead. They were just trying the last thing they knew to gain a little extra life out of it.

What generally happens is the fluid is filled with friction material that doesn't lubricate but acts like liquid sandpaper, allowing the clutch packs to grip.
When the 'liquid sandpaper' is replaced with the correct fluid, the tranny dies because all the friction material was already gone and now so is the 'liquid sandpaper'.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid and filter change on a Disco 1