Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Transmission fluid and filter change on a Disco 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, even the Auditors that were responsible for performing audits of Enron were certified and were part of one of the most highly regarded auditing agency in the country at the time.

Same can be said for the BP debacle.

If a tranny is so bad off that the only things holding it together is grit in suspension, it is not going to matter what you do.

But to think you can just keep on driving without ever changing fluids and filter is also ignorant. They should have thought about maintainability when building these which they obviously did not by placing the tranny pan and crossmember in an interference fit scenario.

Another alternative would be to redo the existing external plumbing lines and cooler and add a separate cooler and filter arrangement. Are any of you clever eough to do that at a reasonable cost? Consider this your next challenge!

Old 04-04-2012, 12:19 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Another alternative would be to redo the existing external plumbing lines and cooler and add a separate cooler and filter arrangement. Are any of you clever eough to do that at a reasonable cost? Consider this your next challenge!
Why not use an external oil cooler and filter setup from a VW Bug and plumb it into the system. Add a cooling fan and you're good 2 go.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:44 PM

I have seen some info on Dry Sump and remote pumps and reservoirs and such. I am sure there are many ways to come up with something that could be added utilizing some of the extra spaces that exist.

Someone with some drawing software or whatever should be able to generate something. I know there are a lot of talented people out there somewhere that could come up with some ways to do it.

Chris Bob's idea was good and quick, we owe him a box of Doughnuts.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple of you were on the right track.

But, the rest of you can just keep spouting what you heard somewhere.

Understand that I am in no way obligated to educate anyone on this or any other forum.

I'll give you this much.
If you have a problem while the unit is cold it's almost certain to be a rubber problem. This means the seals are hard and once the fluid warms up they become pliable and expand to seal the pressure.
If the problem occurs hot it's almost certain to be a metal problem. Meaning once everything expands something is hanging up, usually in the valve body or governor.
There are also units that have valves in the pump that can cause issues.

Kudos to Chris bob, the filter inline would solve a ton of problems since the fresh fluid causes all the crap in the cooler to come out and go through the entire gear train in the unit. The cooled fluid returns to the transmission as lube oil, forced through the bushings and gears, ring/sun/planetary and then drains back to the pan.

Bad idea using a stand alone cooler. The heat exchange in the radiator actually helps warm the ATF, which warms the seals making them pliable. Expect problems to arise when it starts getting colder towards winter, at least until the fluid has warmed up a bit.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
A couple of you were on the right track.

But, the rest of you can just keep spouting what you heard somewhere.

Understand that I am in no way obligated to educate anyone on this or any other forum.

I'll give you this much.
If you have a problem while the unit is cold it's almost certain to be a rubber problem. This means the seals are hard and once the fluid warms up they become pliable and expand to seal the pressure.
If the problem occurs hot it's almost certain to be a metal problem. Meaning once everything expands something is hanging up, usually in the valve body or governor.
There are also units that have valves in the pump that can cause issues.

Kudos to Chris bob, the filter inline would solve a ton of problems since the fresh fluid causes all the crap in the cooler to come out and go through the entire gear train in the unit. The cooled fluid returns to the transmission as lube oil, forced through the bushings and gears, ring/sun/planetary and then drains back to the pan.

Bad idea using a stand alone cooler. The heat exchange in the radiator actually helps warm the ATF, which warms the seals making them pliable. Expect problems to arise when it starts getting colder towards winter, at least until the fluid has warmed up a bit.

I really am not trying to be an ***... but wtf is the point of posting.."i dont have to help if I dont want to" that just screams *******.... Why be a part of the forum if you do not wish to help or contribute? bear in mind saying I am certified and I know everything does no one any good... once again not trying to be an ***... just saying...

Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 PM

Here you go:<iframe width="420" height="315" src="YouTube - Broadcast Yourself" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 04-04-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, shows how long I've been away from auto trannys. I used to work at Six States rebuilding them, but that was only for a short while till I moved up to Alaska. Most of my experience is in clutches...usually the big ones(not that it makes me an expert in anything).
Having an external AFT cooler would be counter productive, but would be pretty sweet for the engine oil(probably better than the stock system)...and the inline filter would be great to have. Just change the filter when you do your oil changes. Keeps the contaminants to a minimum and would be simple to install between the tranny and the radiator.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Yup, shows how long I've been away from auto trannys. I used to work at Six States rebuilding them, but that was only for a short while till I moved up to Alaska. Most of my experience is in clutches...usually the big ones(not that it makes me an expert in anything).
Having an external AFT cooler would be counter productive, but would be pretty sweet for the engine oil(probably better than the stock system)...and the inline filter would be great to have. Just change the filter when you do your oil changes. Keeps the contaminants to a minimum and would be simple to install between the tranny and the radiator.

Now remember, the tranny does have the "towel bar" cooler in front of the A/C behind the grille. I had to replace one of those lines due to a pinhole in the metal portion spraying under pressure. Took quite a while to find that because it was sprasying into the front wheel well and I kept looking at the power steering hoses before I found the pinhole in the tranny cooler hose.

While having the grille out and looking at possibly replacing existing stock bumper with a homegrown one, I was also thinking about mods to that portion of the existing tranny cooler.

That would be one option to consider with adding an external filter as well.

What type of filter element would be appropriate? Anyone got any experience with such projects?

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 04-04-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The D1 has two tranny oil coolers, the towel bar (kinda like a extra towing capacity rig on a Ford pickup), and the driver side of the copper and brass radiator which warms up the tranny fluid. The engine oil cooler is on the passenger side. Some plumbing that can take 150 -200 PSI could allow an external filter (good idea) and ports to drain and replace fluid with truck idling, so you could get out the quantity in the torque converter as well. Plenty of hydraulic gear has external filters, elements are usually some sort of paper.

If changing fluid was easier, people would do it more often, and you wouldn't have the 150,000 mile slipping tranny that no one wants to touch (except to rebuild)because now it is made outta margarine.

Here's a link to some other ideas from the Ford tranny guys transmission modifications

Old 04-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Get over yourself.

Btw. I saw somewhere that you can use the factory bottle jack to spread the frame rails just far enough to slide out the crossbar.

Last edited by ColoDisco; 04-04-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid and filter change on a Disco 1