Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Water coming in passenger footwell relay panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 04:16 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 98 pours water on me from front sunroof during/after rain or running through car wash. Can't find tube opening under all the sealant. Should it be in front corner passenger side? A glazier buddy tried to seal it and the gunk is thick. Found a hole but no attached tube and not really up to cutting roof. Been thinking of running new tube towards windshield and burying it in the sealer above windshield. Anyone tried this for a workaround? On the defenders, Don't go into water above seat cushion depth. Have an 86 suburban that sucked bow wave straight into carb. The good was car didn't float to Morgan Hill in San Felipe Creek. The bad is low end knock on one cylinder that had water in it when tried cranking so it will need rod bearing some day.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lrnoob
Got the sunroofs and windshield leaks fixed. But when I do the water test, as water runs down the passenger A pillar, tons of it comes out on the right side of the footwell, all over the relays and wires down there. How do I fix this? And is this a common issue?
My parts truck had the seam issue behind the fender, but it also had two other leaks which I tracked down independently.

1) Water was getting in past the bolts holding the dash brackets to the A pillar. You can see these if you remove the kick panel plastic trim. I removed partial, cleaned, and RTV-ed. Passed leak test afterwards.
2) The pinch point between the wing and the windshield deck had started rusting and was allowing water which ran down the windshield finisher to pool inside it and drain onto the passenger floor. This "seam" is covered with a rubber spacer that the hood sits on. Kind of hard to explain without pictures but it is directly outboard of the hood hinge.