Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What is a good spark plug and plug wire kit for Disco 97?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Nonsense! Plugs/wires make a huge difference in power! Easy to prove too.

1. Take plugs/wires out.
2. Dyno
3. Put Denso Iridium plugs/Magnecor wires in.
4. Dyno
5. Compare.

You'll experience at least a 200 HP gain.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Stupid question....what is the torque spec on the plugs? and is it all that critical?
Spark Plug Installation Instructions
But I just tighten about 1/4 - 1/2 turn after the washer contacts the head.
I always use Never Seez on the threads.

Last edited by antichrist; 10-25-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThorsDiscovery
Yes, much in the same way an MRE is similar to food. Please elaborate as to how they are similar other than insulation thickness.

Also, the Dyno reference is absolute crap! Whoever led you to believe any wires or plugs made gains in horsepower? The efficiency/better burn theory is on the money, however, is it "real world measurable"? Not unless you run your plugs longer than you should. Can you tell the difference between Bose/Infinity speakers in your car vs. Focal or Dynaudio? It's a measurable difference and a difference in quality, but you may not hear a difference. The fuel and the oxygen make the power; you just need a good reliable spark.

The NGK's are not "going cheap". Our set just happens to be relatively inexpensive right now.

Random examples that are effective as the Dyno/spark plug/HP illustration:
  1. So, I shot the charging Cape Buffalo with a 30-06 and it didn't kill it, so I switched back to the Daisy Air Rifle.
  2. I ride my 4-yr old(since I've owned it) previous rental snowboard(fact.) and don't know why anyone would pay $500 on a brand new Burton... we both get to the bottom of the mountain.
I was basing the hp/mpg on the marketing for pretty much every "high end" plug on the market. E3 promises more hp and better mpg, that's their entire sales pitch. Same goes for Bosch and the new crap they put out every year or so. Its all aload of BS to make consumers spend more money on products that make no difference.

As far as the wires the NGKs are much better quality than most I'll give you that, but they are not needed. We're talking about a 180hp pig of a V8 with dinosaur technology so that expensive stuff is a waste of money. The plugs and wires are only as good as the ignition system behind them so anything more than factory spec is a waste of money.

Of course you'l see a difference when installing new plugs and wires but the difference isn't from the new plugs and wires being $200 and better than OEM, the difference comes from the user replacing old worn out parts with new ones.

You can knock on me all you want I have personally tested a whole hoard of plugs and wires to find the best combos for my race cars in the past. My 632ci GM big block doesn't care what precious metal core is in the plugs so I highly doubt the engineering failure under the hood of my Rover does.

I have yet to hear or see any real proof of why $7 a pop NGK iridiums are better than $1.98 NGK coppers or how shiney red wires outperform OEM units. Like I said before the iridiums are said to last longer but what does that really mean? Anyone who knows anything would never run the same plugs for 100k miles which is one of the marketing ideas behind most precious metal plugs.

I guess when you drop $200 on plugs and wires you'll see a difference over OEM stuff even if the difference doesnt really exist.

Sorry guys we're talking about a bone stock Rover, it doesnt care what the wires say or what box the plugs come out of. Kind of like putting tires rated for 200+mph on a vehicle that wont ever exceed 75mph. Sounds nice on your modification list but its overkill and makes no difference at all.

Last edited by s10lowrider1994; 10-26-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
Kind of like putting tires rated for 200+mph on a vehicle that wont ever exceed 75mph. Sounds nice on your modification list but its overkill and makes no difference at all.
Wait, wait, wait... so those wings on the back of civics that only start providing significant "downforce" above 150mph don't make the car able to go over 150mph?!?!?!? ...and run the quarter in ten seconds?

I really think we are on the same side of this. I'm really promoting the NGK wires as an option and they're not really expensive for our Disco right now. I put in the iridiums because I can afford to and it makes me feel better. I realize the more expensive plugs is like putting chrome hubcaps on my old 91 Hyundai(first car memories, lol).

...maybe it's more like giving expensive running shoes to someone in a wheelchair. (My Aunt, in a wheelchair, said that it was funnier than it was offensive, so whatever)

Old 10-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My point exactly! The NGK stuff is nice and you can feel the difference in quality as compared to other national brands. My whole thing is that they are not really needed on stock vehicles unless you have one serious ignition system.

Sometimes its almost cheaper to buy nice aftermarket stuff than OEM stuff so by all means better quality stuff for the same price is a no brainer.

My gripe is in the power/mpg marketing these companies use to sell their stuff. It's simply BS but a whole heap of people buy into it. I laugh so hard when folks list platinum plugs as a performance mod like they made some sort of increase in hp. I try to chime and and let people know before they buy into that part of it that you wont magically get more hp and better fuel economy by spending a ton of money on stuff like that. Like I said before you'll see an increase but thats simply due to the parts being new and nothing else.

Its been a subject of huge debate and guys like me who build race engines and have dyno access cant help but test the claims for ourselves. The 70 thousand + dollar big blocks I've built come with the same cheesy AC plugs GM put in them from the factory. Saving money on plugs when the motor is cause for a second mortgage on your house sounds sort of funny but it really boils down to only using whats needed and not wasting money on what isnt.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

FWIW I use the Kingsborne wires because they are good wires and seem to stand up well to the temperatures in a Disco engine bay. Hopefully the 8mm size I buy will last longer before deteriorating and allowing arc over. Do expect better performance? Nope.
I've always used the cheapest copper plugs I can find.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I went ahead and order the NGK wires, a WIX air filter and a K&N 2004 oil filter from Amazon for a grand total of $54.95 with free shipping. That should help the beast breath fire better.

Thanks Calebbo and SLANGINSANJUAN. HOPE YALL ENJOY THE SHIELDS.

I will let you guys know how it all works out.