Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Window Regulator Bushing Repair(alternative method)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going to attempt this repair tomorrow. Will forward pics as I go.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to do this repair, at least I think I do. Motor works but window doesn't roll up. Does anyone have any pics of how to do this once the plastics are off the door, not sure how to access it through the metal part of the door. Thanks!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Pro Wrench

if you move the plastic barrier and take off the plate that holds the lock actuator its pretty easy to unbolt the regulator. Once its unbolted there is an 8mm bolt in then end of the track that needs to come up and then bend bout the track straight where it is pressed in. Arm will slide right out the end of the track. Put the nylon washers in a mug of water and bring it to a boil before popping them on. Grease the stud a little and work them on while they are hot and flexible. Its really a pretty simple fix. I have a a pack of the nylon washers on hand in my tool box just in case.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CUpgt
if you move the plastic barrier and take off the plate that holds the lock actuator its pretty easy to unbolt the regulator. Once its unbolted there is an 8mm bolt in then end of the track that needs to come up and then bend bout the track straight where it is pressed in. Arm will slide right out the end of the track. Put the nylon washers in a mug of water and bring it to a boil before popping them on. Grease the stud a little and work them on while they are hot and flexible. Its really a pretty simple fix. I have a a pack of the nylon washers on hand in my tool box just in case.
Thank you! Going to give a go tomorrow!

Old 04-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by FINDingCLARITY
Thank you! Going to give a go tomorrow!
Work slow at first and take your time. Its not a hard job though. Ive done it 3 times now and I bet I could do it in about 20 min now that its fresh in my mind. Make sure to grease the washers before you put them back in the track too. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Drifting

Was able to get the window up and down just can't roll it completely down. Undid the 8mm bolts and the 10mm bolts for the track but wasn't able to fish the regulator out. Someday I will get those washers in, someday...

Old 04-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Pro Wrench

Make sure to remove the metal plate that holds the lock actuator to the door. Two screws hold the actuator to the plate and 4 8mm bolts hold the plate to the door. With it out of the way it not too hard to get the regulator out. The first time I did it I removed the track with the regulator, 2nd time I just slide the arm out the forward end of the track and left it in the door.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

this would be great with pics

Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Pro Wrench

I wish I had taken pics but I gorilla taped my plastic vapor barrier back up and I don't feel like fooling with it. If anyone can post a picture of a rear door without the plastic barrier I will gladly point out the way to do this. There really isn't too much to it. You have 4 small bolts (8mm head) on the regulator (remove two completely and the other two have a keyhole so you can just slide it up and push it in). There is also a rectangular piece of metal across the large opening with two rubber bushings with Phillips head screws. Remove those and the door lock actuator will be hanging. Remove the 4 small bolts and remove it. Position the window where the front most end of the window track is accessible through an opening in the upper front part of the door. Remove the small bolt and use a screw driver or needle nose pliers to straighten out the bent in ends on the track. Once this is done move the window up or down and pull the regulator arm out the front end. Pull the window all the way up and remove the regulator through the large hole in the bottom. You will have to angle it but it comes out rather easily. That is best I can do for you guys unless you want to come visit me in SC and I'll gladly fix all your windows for $20 a pop. When I use the term front I mean the part of the door closest to the front end of the truck.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

pics of the plastic washers?

Quick Reply: Window Regulator Bushing Repair(alternative method)