Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Windshield ... Dos and Don'ts

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry guys; I guess I need to be a little more specific. I am new to the Land Rovers but far from new with auto repairs. I am looking for advice as to issues with various brands of glass as in: stay away from brand x because it does not..... Or you can get a new one thru ABC or XYZ for $200 installed. With some of the BMWs that I work on, I can have a new windshield installed for $200 which makes it not worth my time to bother with a used one. Unfortunately my supplier for BMW parts does not offer the glass for the Rover and I have been quoted $300 for a new one from a local glass shop. Not a bad price but that is 300 that could be spent on other things that are more important.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

....like finding/purchasing a replacement finisher.

I'm such a lousy mind reader, I should of known you where an expert.

How dare I dumb it down and call it "rubber".

Old 10-18-2011, 10:36 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I have never been able to remove a windshield from a DI, '95 RRC or DII. Even my friend who was a service writer for Land Rover told me of similar difficulties but then, they were always replacing broken windshields with new ones. May you have better luck on your first try than I have had after 20 or more. Removing and reinstalling a windshield is no small task on these trucks.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't know anything about the different makes of glass.
If it's only a few months old it might be ok. At least as far as pitting goes.
I don't know how easy it is to get the old sealer off so you get a good bond.

I do know you need to use the correct sealer as the windscreen is considered a structural member. If you cheap out on it and use something like silicone and a passenger is hurt in a rollover because the bond failed you could be in a world of hurt.

You'll need new trim pieces.

When I had mine installed I talked to a guy who worked for one of those mobile installer companies and he stopped by on his way home from work one day and installed it for $50. It was worth it to me to know it was done right.
I was at a yard sale one weekend and saw the van parked at his house.

Paul, the guy who replaced mine removed mine intact, and that was with a crack that ran from the bottom left, up 1/2 way then all the way across. Of course, he did use the fancy windscreen removal tools.

Last edited by antichrist; 10-18-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
Glass coverage is not offered in all states. I will also not pay that kind of coin for a windshield in vehicle that is basically a toy; at least not until it is busted.
Why are you asking? It sounds like all you need to do is a risk vs. cost analysis and you will get your answer.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:59 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
I do know that it was installed within the last 4 to 5 months and looks to be blemish free. They rarely crack during install and are way more likely to crack during removal.
The real question is, are you comfortable installing used ball joints or fuel pumps from a salvage yard? Me, no. I use used items all the time, but when it comes to windshields, steering linkages, brakes, I prefer new. Why risk it? You said you were quoted $300 for a new windshield installed. That's a pretty sweet deal I think. I just got done ordering 2 windshields for work. $560 for the GMC and $540 for the Ford. That's with no glass coverage from insurance. So $300 to me for a Land Rover seems like a decent price to pay for safety.

As for removal, I have never broken a 'glued down' windshield upon removal that I wanted to keep.(I didn't keep it, I just did it for others that have no qualms about used windshields). You just get the windshield goop cutting wire from the parts store, remove the trim and use a coat hanger to push/pull the wire through the sealant. Then use the wire like a two person saw and cut through the sealant around the window. Use a razor blade to scrape off all the residue from the glass. Then install carefully in the vehicle of choice. Be careful upon reinstall. I have seen several used windshields crack because of defects in the vehicle. Not sure why, but maybe it was slightly different flanges or sealant that was not removed completely.

So be careful.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Job is done. I removed the used one this morning and then tackled the removal of mine a little before lunch. The guys at the bodyshop that does all of my paint work got the install kit for me. One of my guys in the machine shop did windshield installs while he was in college so he provided a few pointers and assisted with placement. No drama and it ended up with a cost of about $70. The $300 was not a bad price for a new one but I would put a new windshield in my daily driver (old and weathered) before I did the Disco.

Now onto the alpine window removal to see why there are some slight rust stains. Hopefully it was caught early enough that the area can be addressed before I need new materal welded in.

Sunroof trays and drain tubes have been repaired. Front sunroof rails have been replaced with new ones but the motor seems to be out of time as it is still not operating properly. Hopefully that will be completed this afternoon and the headliner can be replaced before I call it a day.

Seems like a good time to run wires for possible future light upgrades.