Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*urgent* Won't shift into gears, stuck in flood-prone parking lot before hurricane!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike it sounds like someone stole it.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:43 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i just hope he put the rights bolts back in the transfer case. If he put the long bolt in the wrong spot, there went the transfer case.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
i just hope he put the rights bolts back in the transfer case. If he put the long bolt in the wrong spot, there went the transfer case.
Say wha? The flange blocks the bolts from being removed, someone just jacked the driveshaft and left everything else in place.

It bugs me so much because I just finished going through a bunch of bs with driveshafts that weren't "as described" from reman stores on eBay and stuff. I finally sourced the centering ball and bearings myself and had someone rebuild my original and it was working freaking awesome before the accident.... Guess its on some random ******** car now. Hope it seizes up, breaks, and destroys his transmission.

I did have the car running while checking the level, I just went under at first to break the plug loose before starting it since she hasn't been running for 5+ months and the cooling system wasn't 100% bled yet, plus no clutch fan (was just trying to move it 100' up the ramp and into the shop.) It took about half a quart - the issue was the driveshaft.. missing fluid is about what was in the old trans cooler probably.

Locked the tcase and she worked great... First time moving in sooooo long, it was a great feeling!

Ironically after all the stuff I've replaced and installed the past couple months... The ONLY TWO WARNING LIGHTS on the dash were the CDL lock and batt/charging system ones... due to stolen alternator and driveshaft.

It's hard enough getting this thing back in the road jeeze.

Last edited by EstorilM; 10-28-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

So you left it unlocked sitting behind a building in a commercial area?
How else could they steal your alt?
I guess I'm confused to as why it was not locked.
Yes it can be locked and still have the propshaft stolen, but the alt they have to open the hood.
No security camera's?
I feel bad for you, this all sucks.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is unfortunate. What "long bolt" is being referred to here? I just had my front prop shaft rebuilt and all of the bolts were the same length. Given their location I don't see how any of them could damage the transfer case regardless of length.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

He's talking about the bolts that actually secure the transfer case to the transmission. If you put them in the wrong space the will hit things inside the transfer case.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Winching

Spike I was repairing the vehicle after a front end collision, the core support and most of the front is removed (ie latch etc), the hood was damaged to the point where I had to cut the hinges off so I had just been setting the hood on there to protect the engine bay from rain - guess someone figured it out. Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of ideal safe places to keep a car that's in pieces while ya spend a few months tinkering with it in spare time. I will swap out with new hinges and the hood I recently got off a parts car, there still won't be a latch till I reweld the inner fender and core support areas BUT I can hook up the hood alarm switch again at least.

Thanks for the quick help everyone, you were right on the money describing the transfer case idea even if it was the drive shaft not the selector - same problem though (ie open diff lol)

Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I better understand now, I did not realize the hood was jacked up.
Sorry about all of your luck, hopefully all will be well soon.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
I better understand now, I did not realize the hood was jacked up.
Sorry about all of your luck, hopefully all will be well soon.
I'm sure it'll all work out in the end haha, like I said it was just great to jump in the seat and actually drive around for the first time in 6 months... even if half the front is missing